Thursday, January 3, 2008

Let It Be Resolved

First -- Happy New Year to everyone who stops by to share my little slice of the cornfields. (I know -- it's three days late, but really, given that there are 365 days in a year -- what's a day or two amongst friends?) We had a very quiet celebration here at casa de cornfields -- complete with a pre-midnight nap for me on the couch at some point in the evening. I remember the days when I would party all night -- vaguely, but these days I think I would rather have our nice and quiet celebration with the in-laws and our daughter and a bit of knitting thrown in. What this says about me I'm not sure, but I think it may be something about getting old! Or something about the fact that the weather here has been much too cold and snowy to want to do anything other than snuggle on the couch with some knitting!



And the whole "dig in and wait for spring" thing also makes you think about what you want the new year to bring. Hmmmn...well, that and Kim's meme asking us to post our quilting resolutions for the new year. Now -- this may be a bit of a problem for me. Especially since the only resolution I've ever kept is the one year I resolved never to make another resolution. But -- well, if I look at them as goals rather than resolutions, maybe I'll do better. I mean, goals are a good thing right? So here are my goals for 2008 (categorized because my brain works that way, in no particular order because, well, it works that way too).



Skills

  • Continue working on my hand quilting. I really enjoyed my little mini-wholecloth. I want to do another of these and even try something that has, well, seams.

  • Applique. I've avoided all applique like a plague because it scares me. No more fear -- and there are way too many cute projects out there that involve applique that I want to do. Sometime this year I will try it! (and not just machine applique though there will be some of that too -- we're talking hand work!)

  • Embroidery. I've really enjoyed the projects I did this year. I want to do more of it. So, that's the goal -- do more embroidery.
  • Knitting. I know, this is a quilting blog. But, I'm really enjoying my time knitting lately and I have have a few projects I really want to do. So, goal for the year is to do those projects I've already bought yarn for (and there are several that you haven't seen yet) and to not end up with a yarn stash to rival my fabric stash. (yeah, this one might be a problem -- though my addiction to really expensive yarns may help me here. If I don't have the money, I can't have the stash.)
Projects
  • I have tons of projects that I want to do. More than I have time to do this year, and possibly into next (we won't mention that I probably have enough to last me the next 5 years at least as well). Most of these are PIBs (or PIGS if you insist) -- I have the fabrics, the patterns, they are kitted up -- I just need to sit down and work! So, the goal for this year is to get some of these done! Honestly -- the fact that I have so many projects planned but not enough done is starting to paralyze me. I have to clear some out so the new ideas that keep coming can get out as well!

  • UFOs -- I have a few that need to be finished. (can we say baby quilts from before Miss Tinkerbell was born? She'll turn 3 in June -- um, time to get these out of the way!) Goal for the year is to get the UFOs out of my to-do pile or out of the house if I'm not going to finish them.

  • Bags. I love them. I absolutely love making them. I had a blast just kind of making it up as I went along for my cousin's Christmas present. So -- I want to do more of the same this year. I already have ideas for a few more bags I want to make but no one has patterns that meet my needs. Well, darn it, I have the skills, I have the desire, I will make it up and make it fit me!
Stash
  • I've seen a lot of folks post about the need to reduce their stash, etc. I like most of my stash (though there are some things in there that I've fallen out of love with like most of us) -- but, having said that there are all of those projects sitting around. AND there are new fabrics coming out every day. And new interests I have. Sooooo -- I really need to use what I have this year and make room for the new. It isn't about yards used, etc. for me -- it's about making room for new ideas and directions I want to take. I may join in with the folks posting to Judy L's blog about stash usage, I may not -- but I will mention when things are gone from the stash here.

  • Ok, you would think the goal of using up stash would be enough, but not quite. See -- I have these hoarding tendencies. I buy fabric, I love it, and then I just don't want to touch/use/cut it because then I won't have it (PLEASE someone tell me that I'm not the only one who does this). I had such a hard time cutting into my Joel Dewberry fabrics to make Miss Tinkerbell's dolly for Christmas. I didn't buy them with any specific project in mind. I had vague ideas of making a bag for myself -- and yet, when a good project for it came up I had a hard time using it. I must stop this. Once I have fabrics I love, I need to use them for goodness sake!!! So the goal is to stop "saving" my fabrics for some special occasion and just use them when I want to!

Christmas

  • The whole Santa's Sweat Shop/list of insanity thing was a bit much this year. I don't want to do this again. I got a lot done, but there were definitely points were I was ready for Christmas to just be over or I felt like I was missing out on the magic of the season with a toddler because of it. So, no more. Goal for this year is to get hand made presents started, well, like now. And if it isn't done two weeks before Christmas? It's gift cards baby!
Life
  • Live well, laugh often, love much. (anything else is subject to change and/or to editing at my discretion)

Well -- I think those goals are enough to go on for now. No lists of specific projects (which leaves me some wriggle room -- I have an overflowing bin to choose from) but lots of directions to take. We'll see how I do on these goals for the year, whatever happens, it looks like 2008 is going to be interesting!

May you all have a new year filled with much joy, laughter and love!

17 comments:

Fiona said...

Fear not, you are not alone in your reluctance to cut into the fabric! I always think I will somehow 'spoil' my perfect piece of fabric, ridiculous really, I don't buy clothes and not wear them (well, not often anyway. It's almost like the fabric is a work of art in itself and it seems brutal to cut it. I've had some beautiful Laura Ashley dress fabric for years (at least 18) and I can't bring myself to use it for a dress because the dress has to be perfect and if I spoil it I won't have the fabric any more.

Cheryl Arkison said...

Gee, for a girl who doesn't like resolutions... You sure go! Good luck, I will enjoy reading about your progress.

Karyn said...

I think your goals are great. I've learned my lesson about hoarding and not using fabrics that I love. I have lots of fabric that I was afraid to cut and guess what? I don't love it anymore. I wish I had used it when I DID love it. From now on, if I love it I'm using it, there's always new fabric right around the corner to love.

Kim said...

I look at resolutions that way too! We all need a little wiggle room. And, by the way, I didn't see any corn fields--just a bunch of snow and trees. I may just be a city girl, but I do know what corn looks like! LOL! I'd say you're quilting in snowfields!

Mama Spark said...

Funny you should talk about your reluctance to cut your fabric. I was just telling someone that A-I have some fabric I have bonded unnaturally to and B-I start to panic when I am using some fabric and I get to a point where I realize that I will use it all up. What will I do without *that* in my stash anymore???

I love the way you have your resolutions laid out. Mind if I copy off of you = )

Suzanne Earley said...

happy new year! i've never been much of a resolution maker either. i wrote down some goals last year and i'm almost afraid to go look and see how badly i did....

Nan said...

I am like you - the last resolution I made and kept was NOT to make anymore resolutions! I do agree with so many things on your list, and see myself reflected in your thoughts. I am definitely going to start Christmas presents early this year - every month, I am starting and finishing at least ONE gift! That is a promise I have made to myself. I agree that the insanity leading up to last Christmas was just a bit much for me, too, and not a lot of fun, actually. Good luck to both of us and our goals for 2008!!

Libby said...

Well, don't you think there is just some fabrics that are there 'to have' I keep a few like that because you just never know what might come my way *s* Happy New Year

Unknown said...

WOW, I admire you for making such a neat list! My goal would be to start making lists!
I have the same "fear to cut into the good fabric" syndrom and I try fighting against it by buying mostly fat quarters. It is not that bad when they are gone. Take care.

Felicia said...

Silly girl! This is not a quilting blog. This is an awesome blog written by a fabulous and witty lady who shares all her groovy craftiness with the world. And boy to I look forward to visiting in the new year to see these goals in progress. Happy New Year!!

Holly said...

Very well thought out. I'm going to enjoy watching your journey to this coming Christmas :)

Red Geranium Cottage said...

Sounds like you've got enough to keep you busy for another year. LOL!!! You could lock yourself up in the house and never come out. Oh wouldn't that be nice?
Happy New Year to ya.

Mary Johnson said...

You have quite a list so you'd better get to work! Other than to work on using stash and finishing UFO's (and making more HeartStrings quilts) I don't have too many goals this year. I'm sure those will keep me busy.

Tracey @ozcountryquiltingmum said...

It is too hot here for me to even walk to the sewing room, let alone go through and make lists of projects...also there is the thing with trees and paper and I would use a forest for my lists...so I will just keep it in my head and hope my girl goes to school enough that I get something made! tracey

Anonymous said...

good goals!

goodu luck and health and happiness in the new year!!

Kate North said...

Nope, you're not alone. You've probably seen me post about making a point of using my stash (as opposed to using it up, which is a different thing entirely) - trying to resist the impulse to "save it for something"...

Happy new year!

Meredith said...

Appliqué is not hard I would suggest doing something like a wall hanging that is some what primitive so the shapes will be easy to needle turn. As for hoarding fabric I think I may take the time to blog about that next. Yes I do it and yes I do it with specific fabric. Looks like you will be having a busy/fun 2008.