Thursday, January 31, 2008

WIP it good...

Yep, repeating myself with musical references, but I had such fun finding out who was actually a closet (0r not so closet) Devo fan the last time :0).


Not a whole lot to report this week. I did get the mitts I was working on while waiting for the doctor done. Mostly. They still need the ends woven in. The knitting equivalent of hand sewing down the binding. I may get to that tonight though -- so, close enough to show on the blog. And no, they don't match -- that's the nature of working with verigated Noro for something like this. I actually like the look -- let's just hope my mil does too. She chose the yarn though, so, she should.


I also did manage to get some of the embroidery done on the four seasons swap. Yes, I know it's the 31st. I know it's past the deadline for mailing it. I did get an ok for an extension due to illness. I should get it out in the mail on Saturday. I hope. No later than Monday. And no, not much of a peek here. I'm hoping to have a bit of a surprise for my partner (not that I think she reads my blog -- but you never know).


Oh, and a recent purchase that I didn't show -- a small bottle of Retayne. Because, one of the fabrics from my winter swap has been leaving some nasty blue marks on my ironing board.




I think this fabric is the little bugger culprit, but I'm not positive. Since most of the pieces were smaller than I would prewash anyway -- um, well, hey. Ya play, sometimes you might pay. Not an attitude I'm happy about having to take with a swap piece -- but there it is. And yes, I'm also going out to get some color catchers too.


The last piece I have anything to show on is this one. A new shop sample out of the Cherry Baby line from Lakehouse. I do like this fabric (though, since I've been playing with it since October, um, I might need a bit of a break soon). This one is way cute. I have to think about making one for my own daughter (nope, sorry -- Bella is not Tink's name -- I do believe this one will be going to this cutie, scroll down to see Bella, when it is done being a shop sample). Super, super simple and quick to put together (which is why this is almost done but the apron I'm also working on isn't) -- a charm square pack and a panel of the alphabet letters and you are good to go. The only thing I had to cut out were the letters. Woo Hoo. Simple quilting on this one, a quick binding and it should be done!


You know -- despite the fact that this week feels like it has been singularly unproductive, I may have actually gotten a few things done. Hmmm...now, if I had taken pictures of the other knit project I cast on while I was confined to the couch, I'd probably really feel that way. Cool.


And finally -- a question for you folks. I mentioned in my last post that I bought a book that I had "previewed" by checking it out of the library first. I've been doing a lot of that lately. Not buying books (not that I don't want to -- just, well, my budget hasn't actually had room for new craft books unless I'm absolutely positive I want to make something out of them), checking them out of the library to see whether or not I want to buy them. Or, in some cases, if I want to hunt them down since they are now out of print.

And well, since I don't seem to believe in moderation when it comes to checking books out of the library, I'm starting to lose track of what it is I like, or don't like, about some of the things I've checked out. See? This is the current stack. And well, since I took this picture BEFORE I went to the library to get the interloans that had come in while I was still contagious, the stack may be just a bit bigger than this. I did return a few of them -- I did, but, well, I kept most. So -- where does the question come in? Would anyone be interested in seeing a "review" post every now and then? I can't promise how often -- but, I'm thinking if I put my thoughts about the books up on my blog it might help me remember which ones are "buy it, now", "buy it someday", "buy it if you see it on sale", "check out again later", "nice to have seen but you don't need to see it again" or "what a waste of time". Let me know -- I may do it anyway, but, would be nice if other folks found it useful too :0).


That's it for now -- now off to see if I can figure out what has been piled on my sewing table (kitchen table, whatever) while I was sick and unable to do much policing. Ugh -- I have to clean to be able to sew -- what's up with that?


** Note -- I am still unable to use spell check so, see previous disclaimer. Spelling is not my strong suit -- this is why I spell check the heck out of my work and usually have a dictionary at hand. Where my dictionary went to, I have no clue -- oh honey?!?

18 comments:

Holly said...

Sorry about the strep throat. Our doctor would ask if anyone else in the family had a sore throat and would prescribe enough pills for all affected. Hope you feel better soon!

Finn said...

Hi Angela, I see you are managing to stitch and knit yourself through this long cold winter *VBS*
Sorry you were under the weather..never any fun when that's happening. All your new goodies look wonderful, I especially like the ribbon..makes me smile too! Take care of you sweetie, Hugs, Finn

Joyce said...

I'd love to see a few reviews. I check out from the library all the time but our library is not that big so I'd like to know which ones to ask them to get for me.
The shop sample is very cute.

Magpie Sue said...

Book reviews are okay by me!

So glad you're feeling better :- )

Lindah said...

I think you are very wise to pre-shop at the library. Our new library opened just recently, and I hope to get into that habit of checking there before I hit the AMazon button. Wish we could do that with online fabrics, too! :-P
It would be cool to read your book reviews. I'm glad you are feeling better!

Red Geranium Cottage said...

I love your little quilt using the Lakehouse fabs. Those fabs are to die for!!!!
Also those mitts you made, WOW!!!!

Tracey @ozcountryquiltingmum said...

For someone who is sick you are really achieving a lot!!
Loved all the books as well, can see why Tink wants the cute dress, the brown jumoer was cute as well.
Bella's name is very cute, I like the fabric as well,
Keep looking after yourself, tracey

The Calico Cat said...

I just mailed my 4 seasons swap yesterday...

Vickie E said...

I love the lakehouse fabrics and your bella quilt, so cute. I also check books from the library to preview, great tip!

Unknown said...

Yes, yes, yes I want book reviews!
And the mitts are great. I hope the weather and your family get better soon. Take care.

Kate North said...

i can't believe you've done this to me again - I had that song stuck in my head for DAYS the last time you used that post...

nice to see some work going on and hope you are feeling much much better.

The Wooden Spool said...

Hi Angela,
I love the "bella" quilt! So great!!! And I am laughing out loud at your story that you put over on Laura's site....your girlie is too cute! Have a great weekend, Laurie~

The Wooden Spool said...

PS....hope you are feeling lots better.....I know what you mean about "policing" and how it does not happen while mommy is sick! I have been sick all week (fighting off something from my girlies) and they were sick in relay stages the week before and the week before that....getting sick and tired of being sick and tired around this HOUSE! MUST.get.out.of my house tomorrow at least for a drive.

The Wooden Spool said...

P.S.S.....i just had to tell you one more thing then I am heading to bed, I promise....i know what you mean too, about working on something for way too long....i have a WIP that has been going on in my head and in person with a quilt and I had to finally put it away for now.....I think that when I am sick, it affects my work as well.....phooey anyhow.

Malagueta said...

Hope you're feeling better. Although I'm in the queue to volunteer at the branch up the road, I'm really not one to check out books. During one of my grad degrees, I accumulated so many library fines, so frequently, that it dawn on me it would be cheaper to just buy all the books I wanted to read. Of course, I now have several box loads of po-mo crit theory books for the asking! For pleasure reading, I use reviews and word of mouth--plus I'm a sucker for a well-designed cover. You little sample quilt is adorable!

laura capello said...

love the bella piece! i haven't even seen that fabric in stores! :;whine::

Melanie said...

I'm in love with the new "Cherry Baby" line--- just gotta think of something to make with it...

Nan said...

I know I'm behind, but I would LOVE to see your reviews of craft books - thank you, ma'am!
The mitts are awesome - your mil will love them! I really want to see the swap quilt in its entirety, please! You are such a tease! LOL!
I can tell that dark blue fabric is a bleeder - it has the 'look'. Ha! I know it'll wash up perfectly, though - no worries.
The shop sample is adorable, and so is Bella - I went over and saw her cuteness.