Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Crack that WIP...

Sorry, couldn't resist the musical reference (and you get points if you can identify it! Points for what I don't know -- but points.) Anyhooo -- let me first say thank you for all the wonderful birthday wishes from everyone. They really did "make my day." As for a couple of requests to see the crafty birthday loot -- um, well, there really isn't much. Yet. I did get a quilt block a day calendar (I'll get a picture) but mostly I was given some birthday money. Now, you know me. Mad money. Added to some Christmas mad money. Um -- yeah, I'm already plotting a trip (or two) to a quilt shop (or two) and the LYS I love, I may even be doing some button pressing. Sooo -- photos as appropriate (which reminds me, I already took a trip to spend some of a quilt gift certificate the other day -- I need to get some photos).


On the spending the day sewing front -- I did get some work done on my Four Seasons swap. (speaking of which -- I really should get the button up on my sidebar -- yet another "housekeeping" chore I haven't done --hmnph). I have the top together -- now to just get the embroidery transferred into the large white areas and get that done. Since the quilting is going to be very simple (due to the skill level of the quilt maker -- and because while I toyed with hand quilting it, I didn't leave myself enough time) I should have time to get this in the mail for the deadline next Weds. Yeah!

I decided to go a bit scrappy on this one (though, since I had to buy most of the fabrics you see -- not sure how "scrappy" it is. My scraps and stash run to blues that are great if you are trying to make a Caribbean sea, not so much for winter snow. That's ok though -- I now have a nice selection of scraps to play with in the future). I also have been having fun doing some wonky piecing. (thank you Tonya and Joyce for your inspiration) A few snowflakes and some icicles. At least, I hope they look like icicles :0). I had forgotten how much fun it is to do these kinds of blocks -- something I'll have to think about playing with more. How soon? Anyone's guess, since I do have a long list of projects I need to get to before I'll have time to play with them again. I'm happy with it so far -- just hope my partner enjoys it as well!

Not much more to show -- we had a nice, relaxing evening last night and today the temps dropped back into the "please don't make me go outside in that stuff" range. So, hopefully more to show soon!

17 comments:

Unknown said...

This is looking great Angela - I'd like to hope it was coming to me :o)

Kristin L said...

Hey, you "WIP it good!" (I want points for getting the Devo reference.) Your wonky winter scene looks quite winter-ish. I'm curious to see the embroidery added -- I bet it will look fabulous.

Clare said...

Lucky recipient!

You could practice with letters in between each project?

Rose Marie said...

Happy BD to you and love, love your swap piece!

Anonymous said...

I love the quilt. It's has such a great wintry theme. Happy shopping with your mad money.

Cheryl said...

Here's a late birthday wish to you!! Your WIP is coming along very nicely!

Libby said...

Your 4 Seasons top is wonderful . . . can't wait to see where it ends up.

Do I get extra bonus points if I have the 45 rpm of Devo's Whip It? Yes kids there were other ways to bring music into the home - back in the olden days - when the crust of the earth was still warm *s*

Greenmare said...

Very pretty and VERY appropriate for our weather too! We got tons of snow on Monday night, and now the temps are back down. sigh, sometimes it feels like winter will never end! And I LIKE winter!
and Happy Belated Birthday! It's still birthday as long as you have cake.........

Red Geranium Cottage said...

Your Winter little quilt is looking good. Glad you had a great b'day and have fun spending the money.

Anne Ida said...

This is looking great! You will make a lucky person very happy!

Emily Cole said...

Your top looks great! I can't wait to see what embroidery you're doing in the white areas. Is it going to be 'bluework'? I wish you luck on getting it done, thanks for sending me some luck too! I worked on my binding last night, and had to rip a bunch out... bummer! Em

julieQ said...

Love your blues!! Very pretty wintery project. and the weather is just right for it, don't you think? Have a wonderful day!!

Julie

Carole said...

That's a sweet looking quilt! Hum... hope you have me! lol Glad you had a nice bday!

Felicia said...

I think I have been remiss in the giving of birthday wishes! May your birthday fun last a long time :)

Tonya Ricucci said...

argh, I'm late, but I did know it was Devo! Um, happy birthday if I haven't already told you that. wheee, fun quilt top. nice space for embroidery. love those snowflakes.

Cher said...

looks fabulous Angela! I am sure the lucky person getting it will love it.

Nan said...

How I love Devo! WIP it good, indeed!! Now that song will be in my head while I'm sewing today! Hahaha! Mad money is always appreciated, isn't it? Looking forward to seeing what you purchase in your "madness".
Love the swap quilt so far - very pretty, and extremely appropriate for this time of year. BRRRRRRRR!!!