Tuesday, January 29, 2008

What You Can Accomplish

It always amazes me how much you can accomplish in the time you spend waiting for other things to get done. You know the times -- what can get done while laundry is running, while dinner is cooking, while waiting for kids to be done with sports, etc. And let's not forget one my favorite "waiting" activities -- waiting to see the doctor. There may be a bit of sarcasm in that last sentence. (maybe a LOT of sarcasm)

But hey -- this is what you can accomplish while waiting to see a doctor in something called "convenient care" (which, I will admit is convenient if you can't get an appointment with your regular doctor -- or like me, don't particularly LIKE your regular doctor) but which is also a first come/first serve arrangement. Then, once you have been called, while waiting for the "instant read" throat culture to come back (and yeah, instant would be stretching it a bit) so the doctor can tell you what you had a pretty good idea of in the first place (gee, you would think the two days of fevers/chills and the fact that my glands are so swollen I look like a bull frog, added to the fact that I can't swallow anything MIGHT have been a clue). Though, I must admit -- it did make me feel a bit better about how wimpy I've been all weekend when the doctor looked at my throat and winced at how red and swollen it looked. It's nice having outside verification that you SHOULD be feeling like something left on the side of the road to die.

Oh, and don't forget the wait at the pharmacy to pick up the prescription for those lovely little pills that hold out the hope that in a day or two you will be able to swallow something without pain -- all the while having to argue with the person working behind the counter that yes, you DO have insurance and yes, your information IS on file, and yes, not all people use their first names (now -- I'm usually happy to argue with folks, but when your throat is on fire and all you want to do sleep and hope you feel less cruddy when you wake up -- um, even I get a bit tired of arguing).

And, just to give you a point of reference -- this is the same mitt (once again -- Last Minute Knitted Gifts wrist warmers pattern) in comparison to the finished mitt. By the time I got home from the whole doctor's office, pharmacy, confirmation that I do, indeed, have strep throat ordeal -- I had gotten 14 rows from finishing it. If I add in the fact that I actually finished the first mitt while waiting as well -- um, that's a completed mitt. Not bad.

Of course, given the fact that I felt like crud and was running a fever all weekend that's about the only thing I've gotten done (I did get SOME of the embroidery for my four season's swap done, but, not all of it) -- it doesn't seem like a lot. Then again, as I've stated before -- I like keeping all of my fingers and refuse to play with rotary cutters and/or other sharp objects when I'm not quite in my right mind. Hopefully, I will be feeling better tomorrow (today? with all the weird sleep I've been getting my days/nights are a bit confused) and I can get my swap finished and out into the mail. Of course, I have to wait until I'm not contagious to go to the post office -- but, hey, what's an easily communicable disease amongst postal customers? (actually -- no, I wouldn't do that -- but the not being able to kiss and cuddle Miss Tinkerbell for 24 hours is killing me -- and, yes, I am watching her like a hawk since before I knew it was strep she had been cuddling with me).

Ok, enough of the self-pity here -- I'll be back soon with some photos of the loot I've been treating myself to with my birthday money and hopefully a personality adjustment. I'm also going to try and catch up with all my emails. On the plus side -- I do get all the ice cream I want for the next couple of days -- doctor's orders :0).

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poor thing! Feel better soon. You are getting lots done for someone feeling so yucky!!

Kristin L said...

Sorry about the strep. The mitts look great though!

QuiltingFitzy said...

Please take it easy and feel better soon!!!

Karyn said...

I love the mitts and I'm sorry to hear you're sick. What a stinker. But on the bright side (the very bright side) prescription ice cream!

Tanya said...

I'm sorry you're not feeling well. And just after your birthday too! I'm getting caught up reading blogs so I'm late in wishing you the best.
That four seasons swap quilt looks wonderful as does the one you got from Janey! Lovely!

Clare said...

Sorry you're not feeling too good, but, like Karyn said, prescription ice cream is the best! Keep taking the medicine!!!!

Mama Spark said...

You poor dear! I hope the antibiotics kick in soon and that you will be on the mend! Cute mitts. I can't believe how much you did while feeling so cruddy! Go you!!

Carolyn said...

Now I'm scared...my throat is sore, were you sharing with me? I hope you're feeling well immediately and can get back to all the things you love to do. Love the mitts, the colors are great!

Libby said...

Oh boy does that sound like a lousy day. Hope the 'magic medicine' gets right to work and you are feeling like your regular self soon.

Unknown said...

Aww poor thing, hope it all works so your on the road to recovery soon and able to cuddle up to your Tinkerbell. Eat extra icecream for me, I've put myself on a diet......

Laurie Ann said...

Oh, strep throat is the worst. I still can remember the feeling of it hurting so bad that I'd rather spit than swallow! But the nice thing is that, now that you've gotten those great pills, you'll feel better in no time!!! Hugs!!

Anonymous said...

Yikes, you poor thing. A sore throat is the worst. I too hate the waiting,just this morning I wasted an hour n half while my supposed oil change turned into tire rotation, draining some fluid in the four wheel drive, air filter changing and a bunch of other stuff that added up to $200 and all because I had hit 15,000 miles. Damn it was supposed to be a 20min thing and of course my knitting was home. NEVER make that mistake again. Enjoy your ice cream.

Kate North said...

feel better soon, kiddo. DD2 sympathises with your strep, though hopefully her sore throat will turn out to be something a little milder...

Greenmare said...

you poor thing, drink plenty of fluids, get your rest and fondle your fabric

Nan said...

Oh no! You just got over something nasty, just to have something more nasty! I'm so sorry, Angela! Hopefully, the meds will make you feel much better in a very short while!
Love your knitting project - very nice! Now go have some ice cream!! That's an order, missy!

Lisa said...

Oh Angela! Sorry to hear that you are still under the weather! Get some rest!!!But you got more done that i did today.

Lindah said...

Ohhh, I hope you soon are in your "right mind" again. Nasty strep!!! All that ice cream should facilitate a "personality adjustment" post haste, though! lol
Enjoy the little things and get well soon!

Elaine Adair said...

AFter the ice cream, some good chocolate is in order. You really did a LOT, considering you're feeling so punk! Feel better soon.

Austysmum said...

You sound just like me just before Christmas. It was AWFUL - I couldn't eat for a week, with acute pharryngitis (sorry can't spell medical terms). I have come to love those first in first served no appoint. dr surgeries though as I can never get my 2yr old in on the same day otherwise, but unfotunately can't do my knitting when I have a sad boy on my lap. So it's a bit of advantage of being sick myself, to sit in that waiting room with no distractions and knit. Makes it much more enjoyable and I've found that the dr always comes quicker when I have my knitting with me! Hope you're feeling better soon!

Cheryl said...

Hope you are feeling better real soon. Last week I had a horrible sore throat after the quilt show. My friend Doe told me to drink Pineapple Juice....and you know what it really, really helped. The first drink stung a bit, but it was really soothing. I never had heard of doing that before!

Unknown said...

I bet you could have done all that waiting at home, cuddling your DD and knitting dozens of mitts if in good health. I wish you all the best and a lot of sleep. But you DID make the best of all that waiting! I admire you. Take care.

Magpie Sue said...

So sorry to hear you're under the weather. Hope you're resting now and only knitting if you feel up to it!

Helen said...

Hope your feeling better soon Atet. Can't wait to see your 4 season quilt finished. I am so kicking myself I didn't join in this one.