Thursday, January 10, 2008

But I Just DID Laundry...

Anyone who has read my blog for long knows that I am not a domestic goddess. Not by a long shot. Crafty? Yes. Love quilting and sewing? Yes. Knit? Yes. Clean the house well and/or regularly? No. Not only no but oh h*ll no. There are only so many hours in the day and I have too many fabrics I want to play with.

So what am I doing at 3 something in the morning doing laundry?? Especially since I just DID laundry yesterday (and have the basket full of Miss Tinkerbell's laundry in the living room waiting for me to bring it upstairs and put it away to prove it). I got the dreaded Mommy call --that's what.

Any of you who have children know this call -- the "Mommy, I'm messy" call. Silly me, I thought it meant she had peed her bed. Again. We've been having a bit of a passive aggressive struggle lately about bed time. DH and I put her to bed, she protests. She tries/says anything to stay awake a little while longer. "Sing me a song Mommy" "I need to go potty, weally" etc. etc. Anything to avoid sleep and draw out the bed time process. DH and I have been quietly ignoring most of the requests and simply saying "no." One time at the potty, one song, a cuddle and a kiss and goodnight. Her protest? Take off her pants and her diaper and pee on the sheets. It would be funny if it weren't happening to me so you can go ahead and laugh. I mean -- from her viewpoint, you've got to admit, it's effective. It does delay bedtime while we change the sheets and put new ones on and put her back to bed, again.

I should have known better since this call came at 2:00 am. Nope, this "I messy" meant that she had thrown up all over herself, her bed, and the stuffed animals she was sleeping with. "I messy" meant a trip to the tub for the "dub dub" we didn't do earlier and a clean pair of pj's (though just for the record -- she HAD taken off her pj bottoms and her diaper so she may have been THINKING about peeing in the bed). It meant reassuring her that it's ok that she got Muffy messy, that Muffy would get her own "dub dub". (no, Muffy is not the name of the dolly I made for her. Muffy is the "bear" she "made" the day we visited Santa) It meant taking her temperature (normal) and reading a story. It meant cuddles and kisses and going back to bed. That was over an hour ago -- but I really don't see me getting any sleep tonight.

My baby is sick and there's nothing I can do about it. This is the WORST feeling in the world. I am wide awake and wired to DO something -- but there's nothing to do. Oh, other than keep an ear out for any repeat stomach "bloops" (her word). Which, btw, we've already had one. So we're on the second set of pj's, a new pj top for Mommy, and another load of laundry to start when the first is in the dryer. And I'm not going to get any sleep tonight. I'll keep watch until DH gets home from work at 6:45 am and then get a nap in before the Dr.'s office opens at 8. Then I will do Dr. duty, and then Mommy duty since little one will not be going to daycare tomorrow.

You would think I could use this time to do some sewing. I have swaps to finish. I have knitting I can do. But I need my hands free. I need to be able to drop what I'm doing. So, I'll sit at the computer, a few short steps from Miss Tinkerbell and get caught up on my blog reading. And I'll listen. And I'll worry. And I'll hope her tummy feels better. And I'll wish I could do SOMETHING, so I'll ramble in a blog post and hope you understand.

And on the bright side -- I've wondered how I would handle the whole "child getting sick and throwing up" thing. You see -- I tend to have a "sympathetic" stomach. On my own, pretty much a rock unless I am seriously ill. But give me a good whiff of someone else losing their lunch (or dinner, or any other meal) and, um, yeah. (baby spit-ups do not count -- not the same thing AT ALL) So, I'm proud of me tonight. I didn't lose it. I kept my head. I cleaned the mess without losing MY dinner. I even touched the ick without getting too grossed out (and anyone out there who tells me they don't get a little icked by cleaning up messes like this, I don't believe you. Yes, it's part of being a parent, but come on, it's gross). Yeah me.

2 1/2 hours left until DH gets home. Let's hear it for caffeine and adrenaline. And it's also time to switch loads of laundry. 'Cause dammit, Muffy will be clean and dry when little one wakes up. 'Cause she was worried about the darned stuffie, rather than herself. 'Cause it's all I can do.

31 comments:

Clare said...

Oh you poor thing. Can you get any water down her to stop her dehydrating, or will she bring it back up again.

DD's rabbit and teddy were constantly in and out of the washing machine.

Anonymous said...

we've had our fair of 'blahs' this winter so I feel for you.

Hope she gets better soon and you can catch some sleep!

The Calico Cat said...

My kitty girl had "messy" on my bed this morning - I made Mr. Calico cat get up & throw it in the washing machine...

Karyn said...

That does NOT sound like a fun night at all!!! I hope everyone is feeling better today.

Mary Johnson said...

Poor baby, hope she feeling better.

Kristin L said...

I hope everyone is feeling better too. There really is nothing to do but be sympathetic and keep washing the yucky stuff.

Cheryl Arkison said...

Oh, poor thing (both of you). At least she let you know. Our Monster caught a stomach bug before Christmas (Norovirus is making the rounds) and it wasn't until she woke up in the morning that we had any idea of what happened in the night. By then the 'messy' was dry and nicely spread around everything in, on, and around her crib and herself. Remember, these are the moments when to forget bedtime rules, have pajama days, and snuggle a lot.

Lisa D. said...

That's the worst thing in the world, when your baby is sick. I hope she is feeling better soon!

Libby said...

Oh my - I hope that little tummy is better quickly. Your story does remind me of The Princess and her tummy upsets . . . she never called to us from her room, instead she would come to our bedside, announce she was not feeling well then 'make messy' all over us and our bed. *ugh* Trust me - it's funny . . . now.

PamKittyMorning said...

I can remember being thrown up on more than once. Those days are long gone though!

I hear you on the housework thing. For sure.

Kairle Oaks said...

Oh, I'm feeling so sad and sorry. I hope that your sweet little one gets over this bug quickly. Parenting is definitely NOT for sissies!!!

When things settle down, please stop by my blog and see the award that you have been presented!

Unknown said...

I hope the tommy bloops are settled well soon and that you can get a bit of sleep. DS´s teddy rabbit has been washed so many times because of bloops and other catastrophes, we had to sew him a tee-shirt! Take care.

Sew Create It - Jane said...

My 5 year old calls it "glooing"...but whatever you call it's not nice. I hope she gets better soon and that you don't catch it.

take care,

Jane

Red Geranium Cottage said...

How awful. Nothing is worse than a sick little one. They just don't understand and there is nothing you can do. Hang in there!! I feel for ya. It seems like when my kids were sick and threw up once there would always be another! So I got prepared. And sure enough it always came.

Mama Spark said...

Oh, I don;t know who to feel worse for! I remember those days and can't say I really miss them, but you will get through it and yea you, you did it without losing any meals either!!
TADA!!

Marla said...

Oh gosh...I hope all is better tonight!

Felicia said...

Poor little sweetheart. Hope she is better soon.

Rose Marie said...

Let's hope that after a good sleep, the morning saw your little girl back to her normal self!

Tracey @ozcountryquiltingmum said...

Do you know the worst? When you transfer them to your bed for a cuddle with Dad while you strip theirs...and they proceed to "spit'(my kids words!) there as well! I hate to think how many times i have ended up washing everything! Hope it was just a one night bug. And, on the nappy front...my boy was a painter!!! we wont go there, I have blocked it out!
On a nicer note, I nominated you for The Make my Day Award...pop over and check it out, Tracey

Holly said...

Hope she's feeling MUCH better today and I hope you got to take a nap.

Lisa said...

Sorry to hear your little one is sick! Sometimes I get all riled up inside too when I have a sick one then I don't sleep and I feel awful too. I hope she is better soon and you can get back on track.

Anonymous said...

ahhh..i remember those days! after four kids, and lots of laundry, the memory is STILL quite clear! hang in there! xox

Kate North said...

Oh man, middle of the night sick littles is the worst (except possibly littles being really sick in the car, which is a hell of a lot harder to clean up than in the bed). I do hope she feels better soon (probably will - they seem to bounce back remarkably quickly) and be consoled that it least it wasn't the type where they come into your room in the middle of the night to tell you they feel sick and throw up in YOUR bed & all over you (been there, done that - ewwww).

Tanya said...

Oh dear. I hope Tinkerbell gets well soon. I guess you have proof that you are a real mommy when you can clean up ick without adding to it! Good for you! Hope you get a good night's sleep tomorrow!

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

I can relate. Well written. I hope Tinkerbell's well soon. Get some rest, Mommy.

Darlene said...

I hope she feels better! When our babies are sick we're sick with worry.

~Bren~ said...

Awwww, yeah I hate cleaning up that mess. We just had it here too, and I assume Miss Tinkerbell is better by now. It only lasted a 1/2 a day. Poor little Zach opened his presents from Santa with a bowl next to him (and he used it).
Sorry about all that laundry!! You need to sell a couple of quilts and hire a housekeeper!! I will work for fabric!

Magpie Sue said...

You have my condolences too. And congrats on "holding your own." That blessing seems to come with parenthood (we'll see if it sticks throughout grandparenthood!).

Best wishes to all in the family ~ take care of yourself so you don't get sick too!

Cher said...

ah, the joys of mommyhood. Hope the little one is back to her perky run around self. love all the Christmas goodies you received and love the knitting you are doing-looking forward to seeing some finished knitted objects :-)

Emily Cole said...

Oh... I hope things get better VERY soon! I've been the sick one in our family this winter season.. but I know what you mean when the kids are sick. It's still nasty to have to deal with... even though you love them! Good luck! Em

Nan said...

Your wonderful post is what motherhood is all about! You took me back to long, long ago when my son was little. I remember so well the helpless feeling of watching him suffer, and knowing that the bug had to run it's nasty course. What's a mother to do? Beautifully written, Angela!
By the way, who the heck wants to be a domestic goddess, when there are so many sewing projects that NEED our attention? Right?