Monday, December 31, 2007

A Quilter's Christmas

Before we head into 2008 I thought I would share some of the goodies Santa (aka Mom and family members) and others sent me during my mini-blog break. I've been truly spoiled this year in terms of crafting/quilting toys to play with!


First up is a wonderful coffee table book I won from Tracey over at Thee Handworks. It came in the mail the week before Christmas and I've been having so much fun reading through it. Of course, with a new book in the house I also had to tell myself to get back to my sewing! Thank you so much for this fabulous book!!! Now that the major crunch for Christmas is over, I'm looking forward to a few sessions curled on the couch with this one!


Another blog "win" that I just need to share is this one! I left a comment over at the Michael Miller fabrics blog Making It Fun, they decided to send something to everyone who commented so it was a double pleasure for me! These are "samples" (in quotes because to me 4 yards of anything is more than just a "sample") of the new trim lines they have coming out in January. Let me just say that the ruffled ric rac is just WAAAYYYYY too cute and I can't wait to find a project to use it in! And the bias tape? Oh my, this I can think of uses for too! (and just how did they know I love orange??) I'm thinking I'm in trouble when the full line comes out as well :0).



As for the goodies from family, oh my! I got this lovely trio from my Mom (along with some blades for the rotary cutter, some new needles for my machine, oh -- and since I didn't get a photo of it -- a new Rowenta professional iron!!! WOooo Hooooo!!!). I love the new rotary cutter (I've been wanting one since I first saw them over at Stashmaster's blog this fall) and I can't wait to test drive it! As for the embroidery scissors -- my old, falling apart, orange handled Fiskars have met their maker!


Mom also indulged my renewed knitty interests too (sorry if you only want quilty content but these yarns are going to be showing up again on my blog -- as well as a few others I need to post about!). I got this wonderful knitting carrier (and I may have bought Mom one as well in red) as well as the yarns and the new pair of addi turbos inside of it. Yummy, yummy.


That Koigu yarn is just so much fun to work with and I just couldn't resist casting on this on Christmas day. (ok, yes, I still have a purple sock to finish -- I know -- but I'm having second sock issues and I just couldn't resist this one. Especially since after my gift making frenzy of the past two months -- this one is self-indulgent in the extreme since it's for me!) I'm loving how this one is turning out!


If you were wondering what pattern it is, it's the chevron scarf from the Last Minute Knitted Gifts book I got for Christmas as well (along with its companion Patchwork book!!!). I love this book and I finally have my own copy (and can stop borrowing it from the library). Since this is the third project I've made from the book already -- I think it's a pretty sure investment!


I also got this yummy Noro yarn to make a pair of fingerless mitts from. Another project that is all for me that I can't wait to get started on! It's not as colorful as some of the Noro yarns -- but, ummm, can we say silk and cashmere??!!?? Oh yes, I can see my hands staying warm as I knit up and quilt up a storm this year!


And finally (at least for today) I also got this fun ball of white fluff with iridescent sparklies in it to try my hand at making some of these that I saw over at Trail Mix designs (and in the book -- but, seeing them made up really was the bug). I got the One Skein book as well for Christmas so I'm all set to whip up a few little cupcake goodies. These should be fun to make!


I did get a few other things for Christmas (pj's, the first season of Veronica Mars -- good for watching while knitting and/or sewing) and other assorted goodies though none really relating to crafting/sewing/quilting. I guess Santa appreciated all the time I spent in the sweat shop before Christmas! I am still trying to catch up on my blog reading and I have at least three more posts I've been plotting in my head! Hope everyone has a safe and wonderful New Year's celebration tonight -- me? I think I'm going to be playing with my new toys and thinking about taking down my Christmas decorations!

18 comments:

CONNIE W said...

What wonderful things! Enjoyed the photos. Have a safe & happy New Year!

Suzanne Earley said...

looks like you were very good this year to get such lovely things!

happy new year -- i'm sure i'll be in bed super early...

PamKittyMorning said...

Happy Knitting, Happy Veronica, Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

Hope you have a Happy New Year. What a great haul you got for Christmas!

Tracey @ozcountryquiltingmum said...

Gorgeous bounty there....but I absolutely love and adore the doll and doll quilt you did for your daughter, what fabulous lasting gifts, -and Mum's handquilting is pretty jolly impressive as well!Tracey
Happy New Year....we are sweltering here!

Anonymous said...

What fun goodies. Enjoy and can't wait to see what you will create. Happy New Year. I ran across your blog and happy I did. Did you know that Gingher is a part of the Fiskars family? They also recently came out with an incredible rotary cutter . . . cuts like butter! Incredible. Anyhow, they are all in the family. Happy New Year!
Cheryl
www.fiskateers.com/blog/authors/cheryl
www.fiskateers.com
cheryl@fiskateers.com

Tonya Ricucci said...

You'll have to let me know what you think of that quilt book - I thought there was surprisingly little in it for the size of it. That rotary cutter is gorgeous. Hope you enjoy Veronica Mars! She rocks.

Karyn said...

What great goodies!!! It's funny, when I saw the white iridescent yarn and before I read on I thought "cupcakes!" he he he
They are so fun to knit and that yarn will be perfect!

Laura Gunn Studio said...

Yuu were definitely not on the naughty list this year. What fun! Happy 2008.

Unknown said...

I could use all the goodies you received just as well! I gave the same rotary cutter to my mum in orange and she liked it very much.
I was lucky and got from my DH a hand dyed wool subscription with gorgeous socks wool. The scarf you are making is wonderful, myabe an idea for my new wool! Enjoy your goodies and take care.

FatQuarterQuiltFarm said...

Looks like a great haul of goodies!! I would be happy to send you some SNOW as a happy new years gift........ Best wishes to you and yours and your new endeavors!!

Magpie Sue said...

that chevron scarf looks SO yummy!

Cheryl said...

What great goodies! You must have been a very good girl :-)!! Happy New Year to you.

Chookyblue...... said...

hey I got some of the ruffled ric rac and bias..........can't wait to use it.......

Anonymous said...

Happy New year mon ami! Lovely pressies - who was a spoilt person then?

Nan said...

Wow - did you ever make out like a bandit, missy! I have to check out the books you received - I've not seen them before. They all look wonderful! All the yarns look lovely, and I am looking forward to seeing what you create with them. You must've been a very good girl in 2007! (I almost wrote "this year", but it's now "next year" - LOL!) Thanks for sharing!

Felicia said...

Yippee, you got some fabulous new treasures! I myself got a self healing cutting board and a rotary cutter. Woo hoo! I'm been cutting fabric up a storm :)

The Wooden Spool said...

wow, what lush yarns...and i heart that purlsoho project book you scored! :) You'll have fun!