Friday, December 14, 2007

Checking It Twice

Or in my case, since I've made a list I'm not sure now I can complete, I'm double checking it to see where I can cut corners and/or delete items. *Sigh* Still -- some of it is getting done. Despite other holiday delays, I do have progress to show (and a second post in one day!).

4. Knit bag for B's gift. Almost done. Need to finish the icord. DONE !!!! And really, since the actual bag has been done for about a month -- um, about time. The pattern is from Last Minute Knitted Gifts, and may I say again how much I LOVE this book? I swear there are about 10 more patterns I want to try and play with! (AFTER Christmas that is -- the list of things I want to do in the new year is a whole 'nother ball of wax)

13. Doll crib mattress for dd. I have the stuff I need to make it. DONE!!!! Or, well, in this photo it's ALMOST done. I had to go out to Joann's and pick up some more button forms to finish the tufting (yes -- I am insane -- was there ever any doubt?) It even fits in the doll crib perfectly -- and what is this?


It looks like the dollies wanted to test out the new bed, and do a dry run for Christmas morning. But look -- they now have arms that are attached. And faces!!!!

Yep -- I finally stopped putting off until the last possible minute the part of the dolls that scared me pondering the hair color decisions and went for it. And now I have some decisions to make -- see, I've had some vague ideas that I would finish BOTH dolls and give them to Tinkerbell for Christmas. Hmmm...but, well, see above about having to be a bit more realistic. Up until this point working on two of them has been relatively easy -- but we're now at the point where I'm going to have to make clothing and doll quilts. Um, I have time, honestly, to make one set of clothing. That is if I want the doll to have a quilt and/or some of the other accessories (I've already decided her coat and purse will wait and I'm tempted to say her PJs will as well). So -- the quandary -- do I go with blondie there or with red?
I'm not all that fond of blondie's hair color. I thought I could make it look a bit more "natural" than the straight up yellow (I had vague ideas of trying to match Tink's blond/brown locks). This, of course, was before reality set in and I remembered that my skills with paint and a brush are -- um, well, not non-existent, but, limited is a better word. That plus -- it looks like blondie here got into her mother's makeup and decided to do some clown cheeks.

The other option is red. Red's cheeks look rosy without being garish. But, well, see above about skills with a paintbrush. See -- I may have, just may have mind you, made a boo boo when painting her hairline. I could claim that red here has super fine hair and has a few wisps escaping an otherwise careful do -- but, well, it's a mistake. And an obvious one. And I'm not sure if I can let it go.
So -- there are the options (the third option -- start again and re-do is NOT viable). Unless someone has some suggestions about how to get the fabric paint off the part I don't want it on for red -- I have to choose one or the other. Any suggestions? Picks? Help?
In the meantime -- both these ladies are nekkid -- and I need to get cracking on making some clothes!

21 comments:

Kristin L said...

How about making a new face for red and appliqueing it over the previous one -- including the stray hairs. It might be a bit tricky sewing through the painted hair, but a fine needle like a quilting sharp should do a decent job. Otherwise, I think you could let it go and Tink would still love her Dolly enormously!

QuiltingFitzy said...

Would a couple of light wisps of white paint help disguise it a bit. Maybe even dab it on with a cotton swab? You could brush some red on the other side to even it out! You could shade around her entire hair line and call it a fashion.

Regardless, that's one cute babe!

Felicia said...

Um, the thing about handmade gifts is that they're unique. Individual. I love Red! And Blondie too! Don't stress over your paint job. That widow's peak hairline is adorable. And I can't wait to see the outfits you make.

Last Minute knitting gifts. I've gotta break that book out again and take a look at some of those awesome patterns. I recently got Last Minute Fabric Gifts from the library and I've gotta say its pretty awesome.

Joyce said...

I'd paint a little red curl over the spot and another one on the other side. One of my silk painting books said that every mistake is an opportunity to try something new.

Anonymous said...

I think the fact that that dolls look totally cute and that in the honor of christmas leave it alone. Now later the dolls can earn a trip to the day-spa and get a make-over. For now there is only so much time and SO much to do.

trishia said...

first, I totally agree with bonnie. but then again, a quick hat could be just the answer- it works for my bad hair days!

Unknown said...

I would put a hair clip or a button on the spot and then say it is supposed to be there to hold the hair back! Good luck with the clothes and doll quilts. Breathe out, keep on and take care. I know you will make it!

Colleen formerly of South Africa said...

I think they are both so cute...as they are.But if pushed...a hair bow. or maybe a snap with an attached hair bow...to change with outfits!???? Cute as a button. Colleen

Anonymous said...

Angela, love the "babies"! Your baby is going to love them a whole bunch. You are going to have so much fun watching her play with them. Enjoy every minute, they grow up much too fast! My "baby" is 24 now! See ya soon!

Red Geranium Cottage said...

Those are cute dolls!! And look at you crossing all that off your "to do list".

Michele Bilyeu said...

These are beyond adorable and I doubt your're little one would even notice the little 'beauty mark'. If it drives you too insane there's a ton of great ideas here, I especially like the two pin curls one on the cheeks. ha. Wrap them babies up in no-sew sarongs and wrap a plastic lei around their necks is my solution ;)

Tracey @ozcountryquiltingmum said...

I love them both..'tis their specialness that makes them unique.....decorations all look good. You just need to keep up the pace now, Tracey

Magpie Sue said...

If it were me I think I'd try to paint a curl where you have the smudge. And maybe another one elsewhere to make it look more purposeful. The idea about a trip to the day spa after the holidays is also a good idea!

Tanya said...

Cute little faces. And I love thr rosey cheeks. I don't know where you get the energy to do all the craftwork you get done! After Christmas take a good rest!

Doe said...

Geez, you've been busy! I plan to make everyone handmade gifts this year but halfway through I decided gift cards it is! Hopefully, I will do better next year. Good thing I'm almost done with next year's gifts! Hehehe!

Thanks for visiting my blog. BTW, I think your dolls are adorable especially the one with wispy hair.

Wylie said...

How about making a little hair bow, and sewing it on over the spot you are trying to hide?

Anonymous said...

Your dollies are looking fabulous!! Dont change anything as sometimes when you start trying to make changes things go wrong!! As felicia said, handmade gifts are beautiful because of the character that comes from the "home madeness". Peopl are always so much more judgemental of their own work and notice slight imperfections that others simply do not see. She is beautiful and will be gorgeous once completed - just keep going is my tip!! =)

Helen said...

I loe the rosey cheeks of the last one. :) Thanks Atet for all your lovely comments on my blog throughout the year, hope you have a merry christmas. :)

Nan said...

All the things you create are beautiful, Angela! I love both dolls, and I know your sweetie pie will, too! My husband always tells me the "joy" of handmade gifts is they're not perfect, they are made with love!! I keep telling myself that's true, but it doesn't always stick in my head. I love the redhead, but then my son is a redhead, so I'm partial to them!! If the boo-boo bothers you too much, take a round (that's the type of brush) paintbrush, and paint a little curl there - no one will be the wiser! Now, go put some clothes on those babies, missy!! They're getting cold!!

Meredith said...

I love all of it. You are doing such a great job. I think that type of gift is the best. Now just a little doll quilt. Ha! HA!

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh the dolls are wonderful! I like them just the way they are!

Hope you have a wonderful Holiday!