Thursday, December 6, 2007

Progress from Santa's Sweat Shop

So, some progress in the past couple of days. This is good. If I can keep up this pace everything should be done in time for Christmas. This year even. Well -- ok, so I may have to speed it up a little...

Anyhooo --- I thought I would share the full extent of the insanity that I'm playing with here in the cornfields. So, like Santa it's time to make my list. Check it twice. And see whether I'm going to get done or not. In no particular order of importance, my "to do before Christmas" list:

1. Commission for Mom. Done!!! In the mail. Out of here! Yahoo!!! (all 5 of whatever it is I was making)

2. Gift for my god daughter. Done!!!! A cutie pie little pair of funky monkey pj's (she loves monkeys -- go figure). And, as a bonus, a little bag to put them in (instant and reusable wrapping paper -- woo hooo). And before you think I'm crazy for making the bag (well -- you will when you see the rest of my list) I will say that I wasn't going to do it. Until, well, someone -- I'm not naming any names mind you, but someone may have forgotten to look and see if this fabric is directional before cutting out the PJ bottoms. And, well, this someone may have had to recut them (thank goodness I someone bought WAY more fabric than the pattern called for). And well -- someone may have decided to make lemonade out of lemons with the bottoms that were cut upside down. Someone mind you -- I'm not admitting to the mistake!

3. PJ's for dd. DONE. Remember that we've been in Santa and Rudolph heavy rotation these days? These will be part of her advent calendar gifts this year. I saw the fabric at Joann's and couldn't resist. Not the best stuff in the world to use -- but for a pair of PJs that are going to be worn for a limited time -- yeah, it works. And since I already was making a pair for my god daughter -- easy enough to make two instead of one.

And just because I can't resist -- a close up of the t-shirt. A simple patch top stitched down. And I chose Santa vs. Rudolph because she loves Santa. Me? I'm in love with that green and red polka dot fabric. Don't know why -- it makes me happy!

4. Knit bag for B's gift. Almost done. Need to finish the icord -- she's getting a smaller (and different color) version of this (the cover photo, not the cabled one).

5. Knit bag for AL's gift. Haven't started. Need to get B's gift off needles.

6. Weave in ends of knit scarf for AL's gift.

7. One on One doll quilt exchange. Blocks made. Need to get together, quilt and bind.
8. C's messenger bag. I have the stuff -- need to design and make.

9. Train panel play mat for dd. Need to back, sandwich, quilt and bind.
10. Hand quilted pillow. About 80% done. I have the hand quilting done. Need to make the pillow backing and binding. Not too bad.

12. Dolly for dd. In progress. Doll body made, need to finish stuffing, attach arms and paint on the face and hair. After that just need to make an outfit. Or two. As for the accessories -- um, we'll see. (and no -- you're not seeing double. I couldn't decide which color fabric to use for the body so I made two. I probably won't give both to dd -- I'll figure out what to with the second one later).

13. Doll crib mattress for dd. I have the stuff I need to make it. Simply covering some foam so shouldn't take long.

14. MIL's apron. I was going to make my mil a quilt this year. Really. I was. I even have the fabrics cut and ready. Um, so not going to happen. I mentioned this to her -- and sweet woman that she is understands completely and asked for an apron. An apron? I can do an apron. And I KNOW this project is an afternoon or less.

15. Small handbag/bag for S. This one -- um, she may be getting a gift card. This one is truly an "If I can get around to it" gift. Though, PamKittyMorning's pattern does work up quickly...

16. Messenger bag for DH. May get delayed until his birthday. Since it was supposed to be a gift for our anniversary, leaving it a bit longer may be ok.

17. Advent calendar. Yeah, I know it's already December. I know this should have been done a week ago. Um...it's not. On the plus side, it's almost done. Really. I just need to finish sewing down the binding and the hanging sleeve. Though, I would appreciate it if you didn't look too closely at the quilting. This was a quick and dirty. I've had this panel by Makower UK hanging around since dd was in an infant carrier. So, it's been a PIP (sorry -- I don't keep my undone projects in grocery sacks. I keep them in plastic bins -- so PIP instead of PIG) since sometime in 2005. So, this is a bit of a stashbusting effort, and a FWYH entry.

I'm really not in love with it either (HEY -- HEY -- I see you, I told you NOT to look at the quilting!) -- which may be one reason it's taken me so long to finish it. It's cute and all, but -- not sure. It just doesn't sing to me. And I've been seeing such cute ideas for Advent calendars all over the blogosphere. Really -- look here, and here, and well -- there's an entire flickr group dedicated to them. Some of the ideas are really great and they are fun and funky -- something my little offering isn't. Hmmnn...next year. At least I can introduce the concept this year and then work on a new one that speaks more about our family's personality AFTER the holidays. For now -- those little tiny pockets (honestly, you can't fit much in them) will get stuffed with pieces of paper that either give dd a chance at some goodies in a grab bag and/or activities we have planned (including some more handmade Christmasy goodness -- but, um, this list thing is starting to depress me -- so, I'll take pics and talk about it as those happen).

And what am I doing hanging out on my blog?!? (other than taking a break from the slave driver elves here in the sweat shop?) I've got sewing to do!

29 comments:

Donna said...

Just found your blog and I love your stuff. Nice to see Aussie designers (Melly and Me) getting rave reviews from you girls in the US.

Anonymous said...

Angela! Ooooooh my goodness! Those are some adorable pj's! You are a sewing maniac! I'm thinking I could probably slip a few of my Christmas projects into your pile and you'd just be sewin' away, and never even notice. I could get all of my projects done too! What do you think? See ya soon!

Unknown said...

Your list just makes me tired. Sure glad most of mine are done. But I still have shopping to do

Libby said...

You are making great strides getting through a very impressive list. Love the 'lemons' bag . . . sounds like something someone (I'm not saying who) might do somewhere near me *s*

Vickie E said...

Wow you have gotten so much done. I am very impressed. I love the Pj's, just love them.

Magpie Sue said...

Gadzooks woman! Don't those elves let you SLEEP?!

The pj's are as cute as they could be. The dolls will be adorable. I think you can be forgiven for "cheating" on the teacher ornaments ;- )

Joyce said...

WOW! You are ambitious and have you ever gotten a lot done. I could never be that productive. The gift bags for the PJ's are a cute idea.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Those elves can be brutal to work with; no rest for the weary. Well done, you have been very productive!!

comicbooklady said...

You are definitely crazy!In time for christmas? You must have some of Santa's magic hidden away!

Karyn said...

Two words. Completely insane. The pj's are adorable and I'm sure all your projects will be amazing.

Kristin L said...

I'm getting overwhelmed just reading! I'm sure all the gift will be well appreciated though -- they all look and sound great.

Melanie said...

I love the PJS . You should make yourself a pair.

Lisa D. said...

Wow, you have been a busy bee, Angela! I just love those pajamas. CUTE!! Now get back to work!

Cheryl Arkison said...

I like that one of your labels is "Insanity". Good for you for tackling all this. I can't even get out of the house for shopping or to get a card done!

Felicia said...

Your floor must be drenched in sweat over there! Good going on all those completely Christmas gifties :)

Fiona said...

I'm exhausted just reading this post!!!

Unknown said...

WOHO, Santa is sweating a lot there. So many home made presents and one more gorgeous than the other! Thanks too for all the great links. If I don´t get all my presents done, I will know who to blame! Keep on sewing and take care.

Kate North said...

Nice to see it finished (nearly) - actually the pockets look a similar size to ours, maybe slightly smaller. But you've got a lot of stuff accomplished, so you shouldn't feel bad..

Paula, the quilter said...

Oooo... is #7 for me? You're much farther along than I am. I've got it designed.

Laura Gunn Studio said...

love the ruffly pants!

Holly said...

Your list has got me all stressed out! LOL I am very impressed. Those pj's are adorable!!

Kim said...

Oh, it's soooo nice to see someone with a Christmas list longer than mine! LOL! But, hey, you've just reminded me that I need to head back to my sweat shop and get on with things. Love what you've done so far!

Marla said...

Jeez louise you've been busy! Thos PJ's are just the best. Makes me wish I had little ones to sew for....

Suzanne Earley said...

Phew! You are busy, busy, busy! But it's all fun, right???

Cute jammies.

Hmm. Maybe the matching jammies for 3 boys on Christmas Eve need to be handmade???? Maybe I'm just crazy....LOL........

Carole said...

Wow, you've been produtive! I'm glad one of us is! Lovely projects! Ya know, since you make clothes and all, the thought came to mind, don't know if you have one, that you would probably have a blast with an embroidery machine! Yep, maybe Santa can bring you one! Haven't you been good all year? ;o)I have, I'm always on the nice list! ;o) Which reminds me, I should get my list going! I feel pressure coming on! Thanks for sharing!

The Wooden Spool said...

Wowzers girl! You've been buzy....love these cute duds! :) SO CUTE! You are super talented and your recipients will be thrilled and fortunate. :) Happy working away...

Anonymous said...

fantastic stuff... but have you discovered how to stop time?

Good luck with it all. Amazing projects!

Nan said...

Okay, I am absolutely exhausted reading your list, and looking at your accomplishments! You are truly an amazing Santa! I love those jammies - they're so cute! And everything else you've made is wonderful. I know you're not jazzed with your advent calendar, but I think it's very nice. At least you made one!
I feel like a total slacker, so now I'm going to get busy!

Anonymous said...

I love your honesty. You did a great job of organizing everything.
I wish I could! I have 4 large bins of fabric under the basement stairs, a sewing/quilting bin under there as well. My LR has two large baskets filled with thread and yarn, scissors/rotary cutters, patterns, etc. in the china hutch.
Oh, organization would be great, but hubby doesn't like quilting at all...I just don't think he understands it.

Jean
quiltingranny.blogspot.com