Thursday, November 8, 2007

I'm just so proud...

I've commented here and there when I've seen other crafters whose children are joining the fun, that I can't wait until my daughter is old enough to join me in the crafting madness that goes on around here. Not that she hasn't tried already (though pulling on my yarn skeins as I try to knit and trying to hit buttons on my sewing machine (see step 10) are not exactly helpful -- it comes from a good place, "mommy, I help you"), but, well, she's two! I figured it would be at least another year or two until I could brag about, um show off, no -- display (no mommy pride going on here at all folks) her handiwork. HA! Shows what I know. Look what came home with dd yesterday from daycare/school. Yep -- the two year old made this! Well, before you start thinking I have a prodigy or something (not that I don't believe she's the smartest and most talented kid I know) she did have help. They've been doing a unit this fall on bodies and differences at daycare. Part of this was the doll project -- the kids got to choose the basic doll body (pre-made) from a variety of skin tones. Then they talked about eyes and they got to chose their eye color -- and while the kids pointed, the teacher glued where they pointed. Same with the hair, mouths, noses, etc. And the clothes -- oh yeah, the design options for the outfits were all theirs too (with execution help from the teachers) -- and trust me, I've seen some of the other dolls and their outfits -- hers is way cooler (no bias here, nope, not me). And she is so in love with her doll -- and has now named her "Baby Dolly" (a better name than "poopy dollie" who came home with us from the toy store while 'Nama was visiting).

The enjoyment she's getting out of her dolls lately is giving me hope that my main present for her for Christmas is going to go over well. Which is good because the patterns for most of it came in the mail yesterday! Wooo Hooo!!!! I can get started on her doll and doll ensembles! I saw this doll over at the Material Obsessions blog this past spring and just fell in love. I have since started reading the blog of the designer, Rosalie Quinlan and her sister -- Melly and Me Designs (you should seriously check out some of their joint designs folks -- they are fun, fun, fun), and been trying to get the patterns here in the states. I did try and see if a LQS could get them (no luck) and finally decided enough was enough (especially if dd is going to get these before she has children of her own) and ordered them from Australia. I can't say enough good things about the folks over at Jet Music and Books. When I originally emailed about the patterns to check on the shipping costs (very reasonable) the patterns were out of stock. BUT -- they kept me informed via email (once even to let me know they were still waiting but they hadn't forgotten about me) and let me know as soon as they were available. Great service and they got to me within a week and 1/2!

So -- you know part of what dd is getting for Christmas -- shhhh, don't tell! (And since she can't read yet, I'm pretty safe here) The doll is to go along with the doll crib she's also getting. It's actually MY old doll crib from when I was here age -- it's been reinforced with 2x4's since I used to want to get in with my dolls and wood and wonderful. I'll get a photo when I can (right now it's "hiding" in a box so little one can't see it) -- but, a little old, a little new, and a little handmade. Sounds perfect to me.

And before this post gets to be REALLY long -- I'll keep the rest of what I was going to say for another post. Maybe tomorrow. I'm not going to join the NoBloPoMo challenge (goodness, I have the feeling people's eyes would be popping out of their heads if I did that) but I do have enough things I've been mulling over and wanting to post about for at least 3 or 4 posts. In the meantime --- here's a current picture of my sewing/work space (aka the Kitchen/dining table) -- um, really, there's 4 or 5 projects in various stages of completion there. But I do need to get back to it so I can start on the new dolly! As for dinner being eaten there any time soon -- not so sure.

17 comments:

Annie said...

I just so happy for you. I know the feeling when your daughter makes something along the lines of sewing department stuff and feels satisfied. My daughter is 10 now and has made some wonderful things. Her talent at this stage lies in paper craft, quilling and the like. She also makes tiny fashion clothes and hangs them in her room. It is such a lovely feeling to share the joy of making with your own. Well Done to both of you.

allie aller said...

What a lucky daughter you have!

Clare said...

My daughter went through a craft phase, made lots and lots of cards and got interested in knitting. The whole lot has been discarded for MSN Messenger, her mobile phone and boys! Make the most of it. Can't wait to see the doll cradle and I too use the kitchen table as my work area. Warmest room in the house and if I shut myself away upstairs I wouldn't see anyone!

Nicole said...

Oh that is the cutest thing I have ever seen! You are one lucky mama!

Michele Bilyeu said...

Obviously, you are raising an artistic child prodigy and she takes after you. I have to admire her selections...after all, the eyes match, the nose is perfect for Eskimo kissing and the stylized clothing selections could have come right off of Fifth Avenue! Nope, you have absolutely every right to be proud! And we are glad you shared!!!!

Cheryl said...

Baby Dolly is the cutest dolly ever and I am sure will become a family treasure. Brought back good memories of when my daughter was little!

Tracey @ozcountryquiltingmum said...

That doll is great...but she is going to love the one you are making her...very special!.
You should have yelled out about the pattern I am more than happy to search, I love melly and me as well. Do you get any of the Australian magazines, i have a stash of them that could be shared, they are often full of the Aussie designers stitcheries, Tracey
ps who needs to eat at a table when you can sew on it!

Tanya said...

What a cute idea for a small child! But I'm sure it took lots of preparation and work for the teachers. Still, this should hook your daughter for sure! She'll be begging to sew by your side!

QuiltingFitzy said...

I love, love, love the Baby Dolly! What a great thing the Day Care did!

2 of the 3 of mine have the crafting gene, my youngest should have gone into interior design.

Marla said...

Adorable creative beginnings!

Helen said...

I agree Atet, Melly and Me has some inspirational stuff! I have made a few of their bags, very pretty!

Unknown said...

Your DD´s doll is lovely. She could have a part in Sesame Street straight away! I find it a wonder how children approach machines without awe. My DS is 7 and he uses the sewing mcahine as he uses the tape deck, without fear and with a lot of curiousity. I try to show him as much as I can before the interest goes to cell phones and girls! I can´t wait to see the Christmas doll. Take care.

Doe said...

Such a lovely post. The doll is adorable! Thanks for sharing.

Meredith said...

I am glad she is interested and that you are willing to encourage her. I remeber when my cousin was little and into american dolls. I made her clothes for them and she loved them to death. I am sure your daughter will love a dolly and clothes.

Felicia said...

Love that sweet little doll she made! How wonderful that she's already catching the crafting bug :)

Finn said...

Ok Angela, now I'm completely in love with your daughter, you, the doll crib, the new pattern and the WHOLE idea!!! But it's a nice maternal love, so you're safe *VBS*
How wonderful!! I think having her receive your childhood doll bed is perfect! Hope you'll be making a quilt also *VBS*
And her newly made and much loved dolly is just perfect too! What a great gift this teacher has given the kids.
How nice not to have to wait til she's older for her to have this experience. You're top Mom with me. Hugs, Finn

Nan said...

Baby Dolly is very cute - your cutie pie is a chip off the young block, that's for sure! (I couldn't say "old" block!)
Your Christmas gift to your daughter is so lovely - I can't think of anything better. She is a lucky girl!