Friday, November 30, 2007

Catching up...

This post is going to have a lot of little "catch-up" stuff in it. Some quilting, some not so much. I've been thinking of all sorts of things I want to post about but haven't gotten to it and now I just need to get it all out.

Thanksgiving day -- we had a great day here in the Cornfields. I actually cooked (it happens rarely around here). And just to prove that I can do it. A photo. Yep. I took a picture of the bird coming out of the oven. But -- really, it was Normal Rockwell perfect. Not only was it pretty to look at, but it was yummy too.

Also, a few folks have asked if Miss Tinkerbell got to go out and play in the snow (I am seriously behind in answering my emails folks -- I'm playing catch-up there too!). Unfortunately -- by the time we'd had some breakfast, gotten dressed, and realized the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade was way cool to watch most of it was gone so nope -- but she keeps on waiting for more of the white stuff.
Black Friday. Ok, I read on a lot of blogs that most of you stayed home and sewed rather than fight the crowds of shoppers on Black Friday. I'd love to say I did the same. Nope. I HAVE to go shopping on that day. I do. It's a memory thing. That being said, I mostly went out to go to Joann's. They were having some major sales and I needed a few supplies for Christmas gifts.

So not all of that was for Christmas presents. I did buy some DMC floss for a project that I will be dealing with AFTER the holidays -- but really, it was on sale! (and with the extra % off for getting there before noon, um, I think I paid something like $.16 per skein -- for those of you in Europe, please remember that is the devalued American dollar -- so in terms of Euros, that's .11 or .08 Pounds. Yes -- we are spoiled here!) And how could I resist doing this pattern? Paula was kind enough to pass it on to me when she was done with it. (I loved seeing hers in progress as well as Carole's) I'm thinking that green tea dyed fabric will be perfect! Thanks Paula!

When I came home I was actually inspired by this. A table with not a thing on it. For a reminder of what it usually looks like you can go here. (and honestly? That full work surface picture is a bit cleaner than normal as well) I had to clean up my work area and kitchen so that we could eat Thanksgiving at the table (I thought it was only right that we actually eat there every so often).

The area that DIDN'T get touched in the mad dash to get everything ready for dinner though was this mess...


Yeah, um, well...look, I have NEVER claimed to be a domestic goddess. (just because some of you may not have BELIEVED me when I said how messy my home/work are is...doesn't mean I wasn't telling the truth). And this doesn't even include the piles of stuff that got taken upstairs to be hidden until after Thanksgiving dinner was over. *sigh*

So, I decided to do a little bit of cleaning and organization for my own sanity. Projects I'm not going to even think about until after the holidays and fabrics waiting to be put away into the stash got shoved placed in bins and removed from the area. I will also say, in the interest of full disclosure, that both of those bins were overflowing by the time I was done since I also brought down the piles of stuff from upstairs while I was in my cleaning frenzy. One bin for "projects" I haven't gotten to. One for fabrics to be put away. I think I need to join Judy L's stashbusting effort -- I love my stash, don't get me wrong, but I need to finish some projects before I buy more stuff for new ones! (yeah, we'll see how long that one lasts -- but honestly? It would be a good idea!)

And here it is -- the after. All organized and almost everything there (other than my basic tools and gadgets) is destined to be a Christmas present or something I need to work on before the holidays. We won't mention that those bins are still stuffed -- but, I will say in my own defense that some of it is because I just pulled the fabrics I want to use, not the correct yardages. Some of what is there will be going back into the stash after I've made the projects (or at least, that's what I keep telling myself -- and it's even somewhat true -- I've been working on some things and I did put about 4 1/2 yards of fabric back into the stash yesterday because I cut what I needed out of it). It is helping -- but I still think I need an elf or two who know how to sew to show up at my place.

And since this post is getting loooooong (when do mine not?) I will save some of the goodies I have been making to show later! (some new shop samples out of some yummy and yummier fabrics) I have been busy -- and this whole cleaning thing has really helped!

15 comments:

PamKittyMorning said...

The turkey looks good. I'd love a sandwich right now. Cleared off table, woo hoo. Mine was clear for the day. Whole sewing room looks like your little pre-cleaned up area. Happy weekend.

Nan said...

Ooooooh yummy turkey - I haven't eaten yet this morning, so my mouth is watering, close to the drooling stage. TMI, Nan!! Sorry!
Your before and after pics are pure inspiration for me to go upstairs and do the same thing. Since I am in the midst of Santa's Sewing Shop right now, I don't know if that's really going to happen. It's loverly just the same. Actually, your before pic makes me want to dive in and see what treasures await!
I'm excited to see what you've been working on, too!

Holly said...

I'd say you did a fantastic job cooking that turkey - wow. I'm just catching up on posts so missed the whole drawing mixup. You had me chuckling at your predicament :) Good writing :)

Sassenach said...

Beautiful turkey -- and you had the presence of mind to take a picture, too! That's a sign of an organized cook!

Joyce said...

There is nothing more inspiring than a clean sewing room. Or so I'm told. Lol.

Magpie Sue said...

You're very kind to show us your before and after pictures. Makes me feel better about MY messes!

Red Geranium Cottage said...

WOW that turkey looks sooo yummy about right now.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Cleaning up my work space help with my ever-cluttered mind, too. You've been busy, it's looking GOOD!!

Laurie Ann said...

Wow, that's the most beautiful turkey I've ever seen!!! Wish I could have some right now ... Yum!

Nicole said...

What a perfect turkey! I can just about smell it! Good for you for all your organizing.

Felicia said...

Lovely turkey you domestic goddess! Thanks for catching us up :)

Helen said...

Wow, I hadn't heard of the term Black Friday before, but I followed your link and now know all about it. Learn something new every day! Mouth watering turkey too. :)

Tracey @ozcountryquiltingmum said...

Good bargains...and organizing...and turkey! love Tracey

YankeeQuilter said...

All those lovely floss colors make me sooo wish I could go shopping right now! Have to wait until I get back to the states in a few weeks!

The clean-up in our sewing area is wonderful...it does help every now and then.

allie aller said...

Dang, I should have gone to JoAnn's!
A fun post.....congrats on the clean-up, too.