Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Goodies, goodies, and a few wips

I knew the song lyric thing had to end sometime -- looks like this post is it. I do still have some older projects to share, but all this nostalgia is reminding me that I need to show you the new stuff I bought and am working on.

First up, the goodies I purchased while I was in New Mexico. Mom isn't a quilter, but she does knit. Given my recent knitting jag, I had to hit the local yarn shop, Unravel. They've got some absolutely lovely yarns and super friendly service. In addition to yarns and other knitting goodies, they also have some embroidery and other needlecraft supplies. Since I had limited space in my suitcase, and wallet, I was good. Just these two skeins of cotton/alpaca mix yarns and some stitchery transfers/patterns. I do love those Sublime Stitching patterns -- one is just words and an alphabet, but the other has cobwebs, and gravestones. I'm thinking Halloween here folks. Oh, who am I kidding? I'm thinking my husband would get a real kick out of something from these. In fact, his birthday is coming up....

I also picked these up at the same shop. Two Shashiko (Japanese quilting design) kits and thread. I actually had managed to walk out of the shop without these lovelies -- then I couldn't stop talking about them to my mother. Yeah, I went back. I had to. One is a set of fans, and the other is dragonflies. I really can't wait to try these out, though, the instructions are in Japanese. Hmmnnn...I also can't decide whether or not to do it with a backing or just treat it as a single layer embroidery...I'll figure it out eventually. (Unravel doesn't have an online ordering site -- but, I did find the same kits online here, not that I would try and convince others to join in my madness).

And wouldn't you just know, there is a quilt shop right across the courtyard from the knit shop? Don't you hate it when that happens? Organ Mountain Quilt Shop has a lovely selection of fabrics, notions, books and patterns. I was drooling over their wall 'o Batiks as well as some of the full collections from Moda and Robert Kaufman they carry. Oh my. But, again, I was soooooo good. I only walked out with one little quilt book (on sale for 20% off!) and one little 1/2 yard of fabric. I know, I wasn't sick -- just, well, I knew how much room I left myself in my suitcase. And how many projects I currently have going at home (which I think has more to do with it). I actually have a book review planned for this book (but, hey, it came home with me so that tells you something right there) so I'm not going to say much about it now.

While I was at Mom's I did get some work done. When I was packing, my biggest worry was what to bring on the plane with me to work on. Yeah, I know, I should have been thinking about clothes and stuff -- but, well, I knew I'd have some serious waiting around time. There was the three hour flight, surgery, hanging around at home while Mom was sleeping off anesthesia, etc. Unfortunately, I didn't have any quilting/embroidery handwork prepped, but oh my, I did take some knitting. I already showed you the mitt I finished (which still needs its mate), but I did do some other stuff. I brought Miss Tinkerbell's pink and purple with me and all of the knitting is done. I still need to seam up the other side, get some ribbons for the ties and make the skirt, but, hey, it's for her birthday. I have time.

I also may have raided, borrowed, looked through Mom's yarn stash and got permission to take some lovely cotton yarn she had. I may have also had a look through her patterns and found one that would be perfect for said yarn. And, since I happened to have the right sized needles with me, I may have cast on a sweater for my daughter. And well, since it's easy and fun, I may have gotten a whole lot done on said sweater. Like, darned near 1/2 of it. It's a fun little wrap sweater from this book. It's the pattern on the cover. The pattern is actually for a 12 month size, but Miss Tinkerbell is so skinny, the width fits. So, I'm just making it a bit longer in the length. Since coming home I've finished one of the sleeves and I should have the other one done this week. I'm thinking this one is going to be a lovely little lightweight Easter sweater. I'm being optimistic that the weather will allow for a lightweight sweater for Easter (but I'm not gonna hold my breath).

I also got some great mail while I was gone. This was waiting for me when I got home. A lovely mini quilt from the Calico Cat. This is part of a private swap we're doing -- I still need to get hers out in the mail but it will be done this week. Oh yes. It will be done. (points for the movie reference for this one). I love the bright colors and the cat print in the border :0).

She also sent along a bunch of goodies including some star blocks that didn't make the cut and this little tin full of Moda Cinnamon Stars charms. I'm thinking the mini-quilt pattern in the tin is just about perfect and I feel another mini quilt coming on. Thanks so much!!!

And there was some fabric included to make her a mini-messenger bag like the one I made for my cousin for Christmas. So, that tutorial I was promising? It will be coming up shortly folks! And hey, it's a chance to play with this absolutely adorable Japanese fabric. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it! I can't wait to cut into this one -- it's just going to be fun!


I also found out when I got back that I had won a blog contest over at Wool and Company. Since I not only guessed the yarn, but also the pattern, I was the big winner. Ok, so I've done one scarf in that pattern and am working on another -- it isn't cheating. And, well, I've been in the shop often enough lately that I know they're in love with the new Noro sock yarns...still, it's just using my knowledge for good right? So, here's my winnings. A skein of each of the yarns used in the scarf and a pair of needles in the right size to make one of my own. Can I just say yummy? Of course, I should finish a few other projects first...but, oh, the temptation...

And speaking of finishes. I do have two to report. First up, the Bella quilt. I did get it quilted before I left -- but the binding had to wait until I got back. It's now hanging at the shop, and I have to say it's adorable. It also is one of those projects that looks like it took a heck of a lot more time than it really did (minus the getting sick, getting called out of town, etc.). This one is nothing more than fussy cut letters from the Lakehouse alphabet panel and charm squares straight out of the pack. Add a 1/4 yard of binding and some backing and you're set. The quilting is super simple, but the letters look like applique if you don't know about the panels. In fact, it fooled one of the shop employees for a second or two. A totally fun project and wouldn't it be adorable for a new baby?

I also finished this one (well, kinda, still needs the ends woven in) as a Valentine's present for my husband before I left. It's just a knit washcloth -- but, since he loved the Transformers when he was younger I just HAD to make it for him. He appreciated the humor and that I made it. So, way cool.

Oh, and one last thing (as if this post hasn't gone on long enough -- can you tell I'm still playing catch-up? I was only gone 5 days, you would think I would be caught up by now wouldn't you? yeah, that whole sick toddler thing when I got back kind of put a kink in the works) -- this is a teaser hint for another blogger. Nope, I'm gonna keep the soon to be finish a surprise, but I hope you like the hint!

That is sooooo much more than enough for now. Time for me to dig out my sewing area -- FINALLY! I'll take a before picture so you'll believe me when I say how messy my house gets (not to mention my sewing area if I don't police it pretty regularly). UGH. My kingdom for a cleaning service. Or a separate craft room -- yeah, that would be nice!

9 comments:

Greenmare said...

OMG! you made a transformer washcloth? What is WITH you? I think you better send me that yummy green fabric just to keep it safe, you obviously cannot be trusted! Seriously I am impressed with your incredible knitting skills!!! your daughter is one lucky girl!

Red Geranium Cottage said...

WOW!!! I'm pooped just reading all of that stuff. LOL!!! Love the Bella wallhanging. I need to make one of those for my cousins baby shower. Very cute. Love all your yarn stuff and OMG do I see something RED??? LOL!!!! WOOOO HOOOOOO I really wish I could knit. It's just not gonna happen though.
How's mom doing??

Lisa said...

WoW! my head is swimming reading and looking at all your goodies!!!
is there a pattern for your messenger bag?

Unknown said...

Where shall I start?! Your knitting looks gorgeous. Your goodies look great (especially the Noro yarn) and your projects sound fantastic. Maybe if you showed us your "messy" sewing room I would have something to criticize about! I wish you a lot of fun and take care.

Nicole said...

I love sashiko embroidery. Once you get into a rhythm, you won't be able to stop!

Nan said...

Wow! What a post - time for me to go to bed now - I'm exhausted! LOL! Love the Sublime Stitching patterns! I really like the designs of your Shashiko kits. You really were a good girl when you went shopping! Your knitting projects are beautiful, and the swap treasures are such fun! Love the Japanese fabric! The Bella quilt is the sweetest thing ever! I love the fact it's deceptively simple.

Magpie Sue said...

I love the Sublime Stitching patterns too. Sounds like you've been busy in spite of the trip and illnesses, etc. You make me feel like a slug!

Paula, the quilter said...

I did not realize that there is a Noro sock yarn. I'm jealous! Is it soft? because the Kureyon feels a bit stiff to me. Just curious.

Anonymous said...

wow that's quite a number of projects !!!
i love the sublime stitchings , too. my next step. but for now I just got some lovely aunt martha the other day...