Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Where has the time gone??!!??

Ok, I want to know what has happened to my summer -- where has all the time gone??!!?? And by the way -- I want it back!!! Ok, reality check, I know what has happened. I've gone to the pool with my daughter. I've played at the park. I've even quilted a bit. Ok, well, maybe more than a bit. Ok, quite a bit more than a bit. Although, I have to confess, despite all of my starts I have NO finishes yet. I still need to put backings on my mom's pillows, my Christmas quilt top is happily hanging at the LQS, and 'Cause I Can't Crochet has been stalled for about a week because my quilt markings (a la blue washout marker) keep disappearing on me due to high humidity!


Oh well, I needed a break anyway -- my house had become unlivable. Clutter, clutter everywhere and not a place to walk without tripping on something. I'd love to say after a week of no blogging/sewing my home is now a paragon of cleanliness. I'd be lying if I said it, but I'd love to. I simply reached my tipping point on the unacceptable meter. Oh, and my Mom is coming for a visit. Um, that might have SOMETHING to do with the sudden cleaning frenzy. And why my husband has been ducking for cover. I did get the guest room/computer room at least passable. And scrub out the bathroom. I'll vacuum the living room in the morning (hey, I did get the majority of toys and other detritus off of the floor) and live with the rest of the dust bunnies that are still hanging out. Um, yep, only three rooms done in a week -- have I mentioned how much I HATE housework and will do just about ANYTHING to avoid doing it? Yeah -- it's been that kind of week!


I REALLY need to work on my domestic skills more. I actually like a clean house. I love not having stuff lying around. But -- there are only so many hours in the day and I would much rather play with fabric! Or yarn. Or, well, just about anything other than dusting and scrubbing out toilets (and btw -- is it wrong of me to really hate having to scrub portions of the toilet that I KNOW I didn't get dirty? Excuse me, but I don't have to worry about aiming!)


Anyway -- so that this isn't a totally non-craft related post (not that my complaints about my lack of domestic goddess status aren't amusing!) here's one of the distractions from cleaning I managed to find this week. A lovely skein of hand dyed superwash wool in a yummy variegated purple/grape. It reminds me of the grape bubble gum I loved as a kid (which I can't stand to think about chewing now -- odd). The only question is -- what will it be? what will it be?

Mom will be here tomorrow -- so I will be a bit scarce until Sunday or so. I'll try and keep up with some blog reading (the idea of trying to catch up after a week away is daunting!) and maybe I'll have something to post since Mom is always great for coming up with projects and ideas! Until then, I need to get some sleep so I can fight my way through commuter traffic tomorrow morning on my way to the airport. Have a great week!

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Couldn't agree with you more! Domestic Goddess I most definitely am not! You should see the dust bunnies in this house. Much more interesting stuff to do that dust and hoover all day! Have a good time with your Mum and I'll be watching for your return.

Anonymous said...

LOL Mom's do indeed tend to inspire cleaning frenzies!

allie aller said...

Have a great visit...
If we didn't have visitors, our home would descend into utter funky chaos, so I know just what you mean....!

Unknown said...

Oh what a giggle, your statement about aiming, but I'm in total agreement with you... Doesn't sound like you've wasted your summer, sounds like you've had fun with your little one. Enjoy your time with your mum.

Anonymous said...

Hi Angela! I'm so glad I'm not the only one with these bathroom issues! Now throw a nine year old boy in there too. Then of coarse they blame it on each other. I am always finding messes around my house that I am sure were not from ME! I'm looking forward to the day when it's just me and my hubby, then he can't blame it on anyone else!!! Although, then he'll probably blame the DOG!! Of coarse we always have to have something to complain about don't we!!

Hope to meet your mom when she's here. Maybe you can squeeze in some fabric shopping time! YEAH! See ya soon!

Unknown said...

I have a lot of those dust bunnies (called dust sheep in french, is it because they are bigger over here?!) but they are not as noisy as real ones and so I let them live. I love a clean bathroom as well but each time I scrub it, I just get ill tempered and frustrated. Fortunately I have a lovely DH who cleans bathrooms!
I am curious to see what will become of that gorgeous wool. Have a nice time with your mum. Take care.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

I've always liked cleaning, I know-- it makes me odd. Even my mother thinks so. I wouldn't clean for other people though, I only like cleaning my own house. I like ironing too, there's no hope for me! I always grow sad at the end of summer... it's still here though, with an upper 90 degree vengeance today! Enjoy your visit with your Mom.

Leigh said...

Hi Angela, I've missed your posts this week. Sorry you have had such a traumatic week - toilets and showers ugh!!!!
Enjoy your time with your mum. I hope she notices all your effort.

Helen said...

Soooooo not a domestic goddess here either! Why sweep up spilt cheerio's when you can be sewing? LOL

Mary Johnson said...

I like a clean house too - I just prefer for someone else to do the cleaning.

Kairle Oaks said...

House cleaning is NO FUN, but I guess it's gotta be done.

I agree that the summer has gone by much too quickly. Usually at this point I can't wait for the kids to get back in school. Not this year though. Two of my four are moving out and heading off to college. :-(

Have a great time with your mom.

Tracey @ozcountryquiltingmum said...

I wondered where you had been!
I like a clean house as well, just like doing other stuff more1
Have fun with Mum, Tracey

Rose Marie said...

Summer is just too short to clean! :o) Have fun with your Mom and that wool looks yummy and will it become socks?

Malagueta said...

I knew my housekeeping skills had become rather event-dependent when, after cleaning the house one day, I was asked by my daughter, "Are we having company?" Out of the mouths of babes!

Nancy said...

Hi. Just found your blog through your very thoughtful comment about “hipness” and quilting on Malagueta’s blog. I’m certainly not hip, nor care to be, and I loved your comments about people being just as aware of trends in the 19th century, though of course the info may have traveled a bit more slowly. I think “trendiness” is a human trait that appears in most human communities of any size and means throughout recorded history. We’re tribal animals who like to watch, copy and bounce ideas off each other. Of course in any art form there are people who never move beyond slavish coping, but I think most artists know the learning value of coping another’s work to see and feel how they got to the finished product. Sometimes when I get a twinge of worry that I’m too derivative, I step back from the on-line quilting and knitting world and remember that 99.9% of the people I meet have no clue this world exists (maybe add another few decimal points to that). All they see is an original handmade quilt or sweater and they find it beautiful.

I really love your Holly Jolly charms and Denyse Schmidt chevrons quilts. Just got a pack of Holly Jolly fat quarters so it’s fun to see that palette worked up. I’ve had the Schmidt book since its release, so any push to use it is welcome. I like the white/cream with strong colors combo. I was thinking reds, but your blues are so vibrant that they’re tempting me too. So, I might just pay you that great compliment of copying you ;)

Well, I’d better go since my husband’s literally cleaning around me and glaring. I keep trying to tell him our guests don’t really care as long as there’s food on the table… Hope you enjoy your remaining days of summer.

Anonymous said...

The color of that yarn is delicious! I love it! What is it with fibers and colors that just makes me all melty inside?
hugs
Kate

Sassenach said...

Heh. My house is NEVER so clean as when my mother is coming to visit. :-)