Wednesday, July 25, 2007

'Cause I Can't Crochet

Ok, I mentioned recently that I can't crochet. I've tried. I just can't. For the most part I am ok with this. I can live without it. BUT -- I love crocheted afghans. My grandmother made me this lovely one when I was a baby. (notice -- over 30 years old and the pink is still intense -- gotta love that acrylic yarn!) I remember rainy days curled under my mom's green and white striped one (also made by my grandmother) sacking out in front of the television. I had a twin sized pink and white one that was on my bed as a kid as well. Add to this I keep seeing these "ripple" afghans on other people's blogs. Really. Lots of other blogs. There's even an entire blog devoted to a "ripple along". I want to play. But. I CAN'T CROCHET!!!!!! ARRGGHHHH!

So what's a poor quilter who secretly harbors the idea of owning a ripple afghan to do? Hmmm. Die a frustrating and ripple-less death I guess. Hold on a second, not so fast -- enter the Bleeker Street fabrics. These just sang to me. And, I know this probably isn't the designer's intent -- but they reminded me of the 70's. The decade of my childhood. The decade when this fascination with a craft I cannot do developed. Ok -- really pretty fabrics, I really shouldn't buy them. I have other projects I need to do. Add in the Denyse Schmidt quilting book I bought after seeing the lovely quilt projects Samantha over at Diary of a Mad Fabri-holic was making (fun book btw -- some really cute projects, though I don't always love her piecing techniques. Way too many templates for me but you could definitely adapt to some free piecing) and you have a quilter obsessed. I spent breaks from finishing my Holly Jolly Christmas top looking at the Denyse Schmidt book and calculating yardage as well as design/color options. And thinking, that maybe, just maybe my crochet handicap could be overcome. A trip back to the LQS to buy the fabrics with plan in hand and, I may not be able to crochet...
but I CAN cut, piece and put together a quilt top that is totally inspired by my love of crocheted afghans! This one went together really quickly and despite all of the bias edges (um -- every row after it is put together has all outside edges composed of bias *shudder*), having to match seam points, and trying to work with a rather large twin sized top in my tiny working area -- it was FUN! (oh, and another thanks to dh for acting as my human quilt rack so I could get a photo of this one for you this morning) I love the way this one came together and the way the colors work.


And thanks to Judy over at Quilting with Ragdolls, I have a strange thought that maybe I can quilt this one by myself. (I really must be insane for this -- but I'm gonna TRY) Nothing too complicated here, I'm not up for that, but some straight line echo quilting of the zigzags (a la DS's recommendations in her book) will give the look of the individually crocheted lines as well. So, the backing is prepared, I pressed the ripples out of the batting I bought yesterday, and I'm ready to move some furniture so I can baste this puppy up. With any luck, I will be quilting on this one tonight. And unlike some of my other quilts -- this one had a name even before I began. This one -- is 'Cause I Can't Crochet.

30 comments:

Lisa D. said...

What a great quilt, Angela. I love the whole story behind your inspiration and especially the name! FUN STUFF!

Anonymous said...

My mom gave me a crocheted afghan for my birthday today :)

Fiona said...

Great fresh looking quilt - the quilting will be a breeze! I crocheted my daughter an afghan - it took me a year. It currently resides UNDER her bed!!!

Nicole said...

Angela, that design is dynamite! Love the zig zag pattern.

Samantha said...

I love your faux ripple blanket!! And, fyi, I feel the same way about templates and DS. To make snake charmer, I bought my first template plastic in about, oh, 7 years!

Leigh said...

Well done Angela. What a clever idea. It looks fantastic. Love the fabrics.

Libby said...

He he I've always wanted to try that kind of crochet, but I'd probably be better off following your example! Looks great - if you still want an afghan you could find a crochet-er and arrange an exchange :)

~Bren~ said...

That is one way to get around the not being able to crochet thing! You picked just the right fabrics for that pattern. It looks wonderful!!

Rose Marie said...

Bravo, I'm still chuckling over this post ... love the quilt and the name!

Suzanne Earley said...

Love it! Of course you can quilt it yourself! I can't wait to see what you do!

Libby said...

My mom was a crochet-er but I am all left handed thumbs whenever I have tried. As the owner of more than one zig-zag afghan, I love your quilted solution - now I can pass along gifts just like the ones I received to the next generation. Thanks for such a wonderful idea *s*

allie aller said...

YAY! I can't crochet either.
Love your quilted interpretation of the afghan....

Kairle Oaks said...

Yah! You finally got a picture posted. I must say...you're quite the clever girl!!! It's going to look great quilted!

My grandmother used to crochet up a storm. One year for Christmas she gave each of her grandchildren an afghan that she had made. All of the children treasure them, as 10 days later she passed away.

Magpie Sue said...

It totally works! And your quilting plan will make it even better! (I can't knit or crochet - even though my mother was a master knitter. I still love yarn though, and console myself by couching it down as embellishment occasionally.)

Cori Derksen and Myra Harder said...

I know the feeling my mom has crocheted many blankets for us kids too, but I can't crochet either. LOVE that quilt though! Way to go.

Kim said...

That's great! What an inspiration! And yes, I'm sure you can quilt it--have fun!

Tracey @ozcountryquiltingmum said...

Beats crocheting in my book!!!
Do you know how my carpal tunnel would be if I crocheted something that big?? And half of the national debt would be spent on wool-this is a much happier option for all concerned-well worth staying up almost all night for, LOL!!
Great job...and Harry came, love it already! Tracey

Miss Marie said...

that is an excellent quilt! and i'm no expert, but isn't the quilt warmer than the crochet? looks really good! :)

Marla said...

Great quilt. Great idea! I too am crocheting challenged! I also have a ripple quilt, although knitted, another thing I cannot do, from my childhood. I love the idea of making a zigzag quilt to replicate the afghan.

Unknown said...

Thank-you for sharing your funny story and your beautiful flimsy. I am looking forward to see your quilting progress. Just try and go for it with a new needle, the right foot pressure and tension. Take care.

YankeeQuilter said...

This is wonderful...love your quilting plan. The colors work great. I can crochet...can't knit! Every few years I geive it a try.

Finn said...

Hi Angela, what a gorgeous way to compensate!! I love your zigzag...and I think quilting echo ripples is perfect. Shouldn't even be that hard to do.
I'll be anxious to see the finished product!! Hugs, Finn

Anonymous said...

oh mon Dieu !!!
mes yeux en sont humides tellement ce quilt est beau !!!!!!!
Angela quelle magicienne tu es, il est fantastique ! Justement j'ai fait mon premier essai en patchwork (a big square pillow) ce soir ! ;)
Je répondrai au questionnaire des 5 dans la semaine à venir... promis !

Anonymous said...

Cool! That's a great way to join the ripple along! I can't/won't crochet either, but I have been admiring the blankets.

Anonymous said...

Absolutely STUNNING, Angela ! How clever and beautiful ! This quilt is going to be a treasure, moreover because it's YOUR original pattern ! (and such a funny name, too).....

I used to crochet (a little) years ago, I made colourful small squares... but never put them together (LOL), so when I came to quilting I donated them... Now I've seen recently a blog named "Granny Squares", with those tiny squares, and I was just ABOUT to start some again... luckily enough I stopped when I thought about all my quilty UFO's ! LOL

Hugs & smiles to you !
NADINE

The Wooden Spool said...

Wow, I LOVE THIS! See, you can ripple!

Anna Maria Parry said...

Angela its gorgeous!!! xoAM

Kate North said...

Hey, I can't crochet either - and even more than that, I can't knit. I love your way of getting around that whole ripple afghan longing thing - I've been looking at those longingly on other blogs too... Not that I have time for another quilt at the moment, but it's sure a good idea!

Quilts And Pieces said...

This is a great quilt and the perfect way to use those fabrics! Great job!

Kathy - Pink Chalk Studio said...

Absolutely fantastic. I really like the contrast you created with the lighter fabric prints. And so very straight!