Monday, July 30, 2007

Lions, and Tigers, and Bears, Oh My...

Nope, I'm not just having a Wizard of Oz moment. Instead of quilting today, I spent it out in the sun with some real lions...

Actual tigers...

And even a bear or two...


In fact, we spent the day with a whole host of animals at the Brookfield Zoo near Chicago. (which, may I say if you ever get the chance to visit...do it!)

It was my dd's first ever trip to the zoo and she had the very best time. I don't know who had more fun, her or me watching her discover all the animals from her books in person! She liked the big cats and the polar bear cub -- but the animals that really got her attention were in the Children's Zoo -- she couldn't wait to point out which animals she recognized and what sounds they make! And if you're having trouble seeing what she's pointing to here -- according to my little darling, this was "Mama -- sheep! Baaaaaa!" (and cows went "Moo" and chooks went "brawk, brawk" etc. )

She also had a fascination for this beauty. Why she decided to sit and stare at a bird of prey as large as she is for so long we still don't know. But she also felt the need to wave "bye-bye" to it as we moved on to look at the other animals in the children's zoo area. Of course, Leah here is a pretty impressive example of an American Bald Eagle -- but still -- a little bit odd.

I have way too many pictures to share for one post -- so I'll continue tomorrow (including some that are really making me think about color and placement in a quilt at some point). But, before I fall into an exhausted heap from sun, fun, and keeping up with the boundless energy and excitement of a 2 year old on an adventure -- this one I just had to share. The primate house at the zoo is fantastic and this particular photo just seems to say something. What? I'm not entirely sure, but something!

9 comments:

KC Quilter said...

Wow, what a great excursion! I am a bit of a zoo freak myself and we always try to hit zoos when on vacation. Try the Henry Doorly Zoo in Omaha sometime--it is amazing!

~Bren~ said...

I love the Brookfield zoo. I always get lost there though. We usually end up at the Milwaukee zoo. Can't wait to see what pics inspire quilts!

Samantha said...

Sounds like you had a fabulous time! How fun!

Kairle Oaks said...

How sweet! A first trip to the zoo is always so memorial. My kids are bigger but they still like to go!

Anonymous said...

What an awesome day. I love the zoo :)

Lisa D. said...

How fun was it to see the zoo for the very first time through your daughter's eyes? Very cool.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Wonderful outing... thanks for sharing the zoo through your daughter's eyes. That Eagle is stunning, I'd sit and stare, too!

Anonymous said...

elle a l'air tellement adorable -- même vue de dos !!! -- et quel joli petit chapeau ! est-ce que tu l'as fait ? ma fille a grandi si vite, mais je me rappelle encore quand elle avait l'âge de ta fille... c'est si mignon !

Tracey @ozcountryquiltingmum said...

Oh, you called them chooks...I'm so proud I could burst!!!!
Looks like a great zoo, I think I took about 30 photos when we went that were all about the textures/colours etc that would be great in quilts!!
It really starts to infiltrate your life, doesn't it!!? Tracey