Saturday, August 25, 2007

Saturday Surprise

One major surprise in my neck of the woods these days was the fact that for the first time in over a week it didn't rain! Wooo Hoooo! Now if we can just keep some rain away long enough for the flood waters to recede, there are a lot of folks in my little corner of the cornfields who would be thrilled! So to celebrate a bit of sun today, a lovely photo of some flowers in the containers on my porch. Earlier this winter/spring dd and I planted some seeds (guilt for mommy killing off the marigold seedling she planted at school) and they're finally giving us a bit of color!



The second surprise is that I'm done with the quilting on 'Cause I Can't Crochet! Woo Hooo! The craft groove thing worked -- I finally got the rest of it marked and quilted. Now I just need to make the bias binding (not 'cause I'm not fond of straight binding -- I actually am -- but the fabric I'm using is a stripe and it's gonna look cool as bias!), get it attached, trim the quilt, and hand sew the binding down. Sounds like a lot but I'm really hoping to have this one done with some final photos up this week!

And the final surprise for this Saturday, is that this is my 50th blog post! I honestly can't believe that I have been blogging for 6 months and I've gotten to this many posts. Confession time here, this is the longest and most I have ever written in any type of "journal". Ever. Even when I've been assigned journals for classes (which -- as a teacher I understand the assignment, as a student, they are ALWAYS my downfall!). I also never imagined when I began blogging how many fantastic women, quilters, and crafters I would "meet". To all of those who have visited with me here in my virtual corner of the cornfields, thank you so much -- you are all incredible!


And to say thanks for dropping by, sittin' a spell, and chatting over coffee, tea, or (in my case) a Diet Coke -- I've got a surprise to share with you! What is it? Not sure yet -- a bundle of crafty/quilty goodness for sure, but the exact contents are unknown yet. Leave a comment here on this post between now and Wednesday, August 29th at noon CST. I will print out the comments (or the names) and put it in a hat. When I pick up my adorable assistant from daycare, we will draw the name of the winner! (Or however many winners she manages to draw out of the hat -- she sometimes has difficulty picking just ONE of anything! hehehehe) I'll then take a page out of Finn's book and try and match the prize to the recipient from my stash. Don't worry if you think my fabric choices are WAY too bright/modern/obnoxious -- I do have some things in my stash that might surprise you! And if you tend to LIKE what you see me playing with -- oh boy, hehehe! Who knows? You might even get something handmade by little ole' moi! Hope you enjoy the surprise just as much as I've enjoyed spending time playing in blogland -- thanks so much, and here's to another 50 posts!

35 comments:

dot said...

Congrats on 50!!!!!!!!! It sure is fun reading about your endeavours,

Anonymous said...

happy blogiversary Love to see your quilts and projects. I love the clothes you make..

Have to get over to Tammy Tadd's store and see if it is as wonderful as her website.

Happy quilting

Oleqwilter aka Mary

Unknown said...

Thank goodness for dry days in amongst the rain eh? I love stripes and checks on the bias for bindings - my favourite!

Fiona said...

Congratulations on your 50th post! I definitely want to be in your draw because I love brights!

QuiltingFitzy said...

I enjoy your blog each and every day! I don't post to mind even as frequently, lol. Glad you're here.

Love your new quilt, the color combo is very retro!

Pick me! Pick me!

Malagueta said...

I have to admit that--while at JoAnn's yesterday cleaning out the clearance aisle to buy crafty things as a plan B for a lemonade tea party/waterslide back to school bash, since it's looking like ran--I broke down and bought fake flowers to put on my porch. I kill every plant I try to grow, so your gorgeous marigolds fill me with envy! Happy back to school!!

Malagueta said...

Yes, I meant "looking like rain." It would be odd if it was looking like a Kurosawa film outside.

Unknown said...

Glad to hear you've had a rain free day, and those flowers are so pretty. Now don't keep us in suspense for too long, waiting for the final photo of the quilt. Congrats on your 50th post.

Samantha said...

Happy 50th post-i-versary! I'm loving the can't crochet quilt so far- looking forward to seeing it all!

Michele Bilyeu said...

Love your blog, love you ;) ;) Count me in for your drawing! Personally, I love all of your colors!

Nan said...

Congrats on your 50th post! I am so very happy that I quit lurking and started commenting, becuz getting to know you has been an absolute joy!
I'm proud of you for finishing the quilting on what's going to be a gorgeous quilt! Good for you! I cannot wait to see the finished product!

Unknown said...

Congrats on your 50th post. You sure have been busy in the last 6 months and I enjoy having a look at what you share with us here. Can I bribe your daughter with some "gummibärchen" from Haribo?!
I m looking forward to seeing a whole picture of your "can´t crochet". Take care.

mckie2 said...

Looking forward to seeing the final pictures of 'Cause I Can't Crochet' - I can't crochet either.

We have had a very wet summer in Texas this year but have had a chance to dry out in the last 2-3 weeks. I almost wish the rain were back 'cause it's too dang hot.

Susan

Lindah said...

Oh, happy sunshine! I can empathize because I have the reverse joy when a few sprinkles fall in our rain-starved summers here. Usually, my husband and I run out and dance around when the first autumn raindrops fall, much to the amusement of our neighbors. What they don't know is that we miss the east coast summer rains. Congrats on your 50th blog! May you have 50 more. 50 at a time makes it seem easier? Your bias striped binding will be very nice. I will look for a pic of it. Hope the sun comes out again and dries things off a bit for your area.

Melzie said...

Congrats on your #50 :O) xoxo melzie

Tanya said...

Hi Atet. I was surprised that you hadn't been blogging longer! You are such a good blogger, both for writing your own and also visiting and commenting on others. Congratulations on your 50th post!

The Calico Cat said...

How nice to hit a mile stone...

I love to use stripes on the bias....

dot said...

Love the picture. Cosmos would have to be my second favorite flower behind snapdragon.

Sassenach said...

Did the flooding affect buildings or just (Just!) fields? We had 4 1/2 inches just between Wednesday and Saturday morning, but the ground pretty much just soaked it up. We've been parched.

Ack. The humidity now!

Lisa D. said...

Congrats on your 50th post, Angela! OMG, your quilt looks wonderful. I love the opposing quilting lines against the lines of your pattern design. And that binding will be perfect. Love it!

Anonymous said...

Hi, Attet !
HAPPY BLOGIVERSARY, dear !
Just likeTanya, I really thought you were blogging since much longer ! Please, keep doing, we appreciate your posts sooo much !

I just had a look again at your beautiful "'Cause I can't crochet" quilt, and I have to grip the table "with four hands" not to have a try doing one, as well !
I will, I will, I KNOW I will !
(which size and angle are the triangles, Attet please ?)

A biiiig special ((HUG)) and smiles to you !

NADINE

Kate North said...

congratulations on your 50 posts - and here's to many more!

Libby said...

Congrats on reaching a blogging milestone. It's such a joy to reach out to so many fantastic women who enjoy the very things I enjoy from all parts of the world.
Your color spot looks just right - and I'm glad that someone is having better luck with flowers than I have this year *s*

Suzanne Earley said...

Can't wait to see the quilt finished! I've never been a good journal-keeper either, and am finding it fascinating how much I look forward to blogging and reading about other people's journeys as well.

Happy 50th post, and here's to many more!

Andrea said...

Now I can crochet but still think your quilt was a brilliant idea. Happy 50th bloggie :-)

Tracey @ozcountryquiltingmum said...

50 wow!!!! I think I would have just about read them all as well....is that a bonus prize????
Thanks for the cosmos pic, very cute, I like that as well, thanks for the reminder that if I put that in now, I can post pics in a few months!!
Tha close up of because I can't crochet still looks great! tracey

Libby said...

Downstate we are WAY jealous of your rain!!

Congratulations on your quilt and on 50 posts...can't wait to see the final pictures (uh of the quilt that is.)

Magpie Sue said...

Well congrats on the 50 posts! I'm anxious to see that binding on your Can't Crochet quilt too; sounds brilliant. Glad to hear that you haven't floated away ;- )

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Cheers! Life is Good... and even better with you in blogland. So glad you're here, congrats on 50 and here's to many, many more posts!

Anonymous said...

Yay for sunshine and your 50th post! I love your beautiful flowers.

Kairle Oaks said...

50 posts...way to go!!!

Today I had rain clouds over the mountains out my front window and blue skies out in back. Oh, how we'd love some more rain! Your flowers sure look pretty.

BTW, your quilt looks great! Can't wait to see a picture of the whole thing once you've got it bound!

Teresa said...

The flower picture made me smile. I really wish I had a place to grow stuff.

If the fabric you are using for the binding looks anything like those in the quilt it will look really spectacular on the bias. Great job with the quilting on a good looking quilt!

Feeling Simply Quilty said...

You know I didn't win the lottery. And you know, I'm the middle child. You know, I didn't finish all my UFO's. So you know what that means...smile..

Have a great day playing with your assistant.

The cornfield must be a lovely place to be.

Rose Marie said...

Darn, must have been snoozing while this draw was going on! Anyway, congrats on 50 and many many more to come. Looking forward to seeing your quilt finished!

The Wooden Spool said...

Pretty, pretties!