Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Simple Pleasures

After spending a fun week with my Mom I've been thinking a lot about simple things that bring me pleasure and joy. Being able to spend all day with one of my favorite people in the world is one of them. Long talks about anything and everything are another. Tickles and giggles and sloppy wet toddler kisses are others. Seeing my daughter snuggled under a quilt I made -- oh, yeah, that one is high up there too. And isn't that why we do this? The pleasure we get from seeing our creations used, loved, cuddled? The joy in getting a design right? Colors that make us smile? Fabrics and fibers that feel good in our hands as we cut, knot, sew, manipulate them into patterns that show not only our skills, but the joy we take in the process? I think I needed this week to remind myself of that -- and of why I make things when buying them pre-made 9 times out of 10 can be less expensive.

It's the joy in the process just as much as it is the finished product. I forget that sometimes in my rush to get the next project done -- and wonder why I'm so stressed. I forget to enjoy the steps (not that all steps are as enjoyable as others -- I can do without some of them, but that's part of it too I guess). And spending a week enjoying the time I spent with my mother (which was way too short Mom -- next visit I really want more time!) even though we were busy, busy, busy, was just what I needed to get me fired up to finish the work on 'Cause I Can't Crochet and enjoy the process not just rush to get a finished result. Let's see how well I keep to that resolution -- given that I still have a list of projects I want to/need to work on, and this past week added to the pile! (though one did get crossed off -- I finally finished Mom's pillows and they are now safely at their final destination, no photos 'cause I'm a dork that way, but Mom said she'd take some when they are in place) I'll post pictures of the new fabric goodies soon -- just need to take some photos first!
In the meantime (and so this is not a picture less post) another simple pleasure that is bringing me joy -- Mom treated me to a manicure and pedicure while she was here. Every once in awhile it is nice to get pampered and to remember that I can be a girly girl! And these flowers on my toes, with the little jewel sparkles, these are just making me giggle all over! Thanks Mom!

20 comments:

Kim said...

Love the toes! Now I think you need some new sandals, maybe?! LOL! Your post made me think about the simple things in life and the quilting process that I sometimes get too goal oriented about. Thanks! Now if I can only remember it . . . .

Clare said...

Lovely toes. Is DD jealous?

I suppose I don't really have goals. I just plod along doing my own thing. One quilt at a time and try not to get side tracked, even though the stash is yelling at me to come and play and I'm getting bored with the current project.

Tazzie said...

Ohhh yes, loving that pedicure! Now I wanna get one!
*hugs*
Tazzie
:-)

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Cute tootsies! This is what Moms are for... I know she appreciated every minute of time with you and your little one even more!

QuiltingFitzy said...

They go well with the flip-flop tan, hahaha!

Mom's are just the best for treats, aren't they? Hope I do as well for my girls!

Melanie said...

Drop dead Gorgeous toes!!!! I've never had a pedicure...

CONNIE W said...

Enjoyed reading your post. I identify with what your wrote. The toenails are too fun!

Lisa D. said...

Look at those cute toes!!! Glad you had such a nice visit with your mom.

Anonymous said...

Love the Toesies! SO cute! I am glad you had time to spend with your mum. Enjoy the moments! hugs
Kate

His Office, My Studio said...

Moms have a way to ground their daughters. I loved being around my Mom no matter what we did it was always fun.

Very cute toes, I am going to polish mine after I click publish comment.

Darlene said...

A visit with Mom is so good for your heart and soul. I'm glad that you had wonderful time.

Cute toes - I've never had a pedicure but I've been considering it lately. LOL

Tracey @ozcountryquiltingmum said...

Gorgeous toes!
So glad Mum's visit rejuvenated you, it's great that you have such a good relationship.
I completely agree with you about the joy of seeing your babies cuddled up under your quilts, DD just keeps piling them on...and in such meticulous order! She will never be cold!Tracey

The Wooden Spool said...

I totally agree with the rewarding feeling it is to see our handiwork being used and LOVED! Good write up! Glad you got to have fun with your mom! Our summer break is over and kids are in school ALREADY! SO SOON!

Leigh said...

Those toes are soooooo cute :-))

Kairle Oaks said...

What a fun time with your mom! Those toes are show stoppers!!!

Judy said...

You have a pretty cool Mom - she knows the right kind of gift to give!! Life? Yes, I do wish it were simpler........

Anonymous said...

What an excellent reminder to enjoy the process. Your toes are scrumptious!

Vicky said...

Oh, wow, I love your toes! I did that for myself or my last birthday -- okay, not quite as sparkly, but the flowers had a "diamond" in the middle of them! Hey, it's almost time for another birthday. Thanks for the toe reminder! Your Mom sounds wonderful! Does she adopt? LOL

Rose Marie said...

The toes are neat and guess what ... I have some very old calico fabric that almost matches the pattern and colour!

Anonymous said...

Angela! Glad you had time with your mom. That is one of the great pleasures in life isn't it? I know I love to spend time with my mommy! I too love the toes! I recently took pictures of mine and a girlfriend's toes after pedicures. It was my treat for her 40th birthday. I wasn't sure if anyone would actually want to see my toes up close, but now I feel brave enough to put it on my blog soon. We are off to Nashville next week, but some of the girls will still be here. Come see us soon, we miss you!