Thursday, March 13, 2008

Unintended Blog Break

Hey all -- wow, when I made my last post I had no idea I would be taking a week and 1/2 off from blogging. I'd love to say that it was due to some mysterious, dark stranger who came and whisked me off for a romantic trip filled with fabric and yarn shopping. (hey -- we all have our fantasies right? I mean -- it COULD happen, we won't mention pesky details about my hubby or child waiting for me at home. This is after all a FANTASY) But, well, nope.


I've mostly been bad company to be around -- a combination of winter hanging on way too long (will this snow and cold NEVER end? maybe -- it's sunny out now and almost human temps), a few nights of "bedtime battle" (who knew a 2 yo could be THAT passive aggressive? I mean, one or two potty accidents in one night I'll buy -- the 8 times we had?? Each one pretty much calculated to allow me to get downstairs and sit down before she called me up to tell me she had wet her bed? Yeah -- not buying it. We are now having serious conversations about only wearing big girl panties. If her control of her bladder is that good -- um, I'm not buying pull-ups anymore. That particular battle also lasted over three hours folks, meaning she got to sleep close to midnight, I got to sleep a heck of a lot later -- so not doing that again), and being ticked off at a universe where a really sweet lady is no longer here -- and her 14 yo daughter is without her mother. Yeah, that one has really been eating at me. Nothing I can do about it. Nothing to really be angry at, but -- still, makes me want to scream at the universe or something. And yeah, the funeral. Have I mentioned I don't do funerals well? (no, I don't make a scene or anything -- I go, I'm polite, I'm even presentable -- I just, well, don't like doing it. I never know what to say -- then again, if I did maybe then something would be wrong?)


Unfortunately, the something I've been doing hasn't been much on the crafty end. I've got a few things in the works but nothing worth showing really. Um, unless you count some mommy/daughter Easter decorations? You will? Great (hate to have a post without photos here). This one started out because Tink asked me if we could "decorate" the house. (sniff, sniff, so proud) Ok -- no problem. Wait. Possible problem. So I look through my decorations. Halloween. Check. Christmas. Check. Birthday. Check. Easter. Um, nope. Nothing, zilch, nadda. So, a trip to Michael's -- cute bunny house kits. Sticker backed pieces. A project we can do together, on sale -- perfect. Yeah, until I got home and realized that this lovely little bunny Victorian included glue. And glitter. (please refer to what happened with little one and sprinkles) Ok, so less the little one could do -- way more for Mommy. (at least, if I don't want EVERYTHING in the house covered with iridescent glitter)


Back to Michael's for the simple cottage. Smaller, fewer pieces, no glitter. No glue. We've been working on both of them -- she peels off the backings to the stickers, I do some placement, she pushes in place. At the current pace -- both should be done for Easter. Yeah team. (that is IF Mommy gets off her duff and finishes gluing down all the extra pieces.) I'll share finished photos when appropriate.


Other than that -- a few books I was planning to review but I had to return them to the library. And some other crafty goodness in the works. I'll post more about those projects later. Until then -- um, I've got a certain hubby who has a birthday soon (soon? crud -- it's tomorrow. Ok, a present to make tonight -- or, a card? cards are good right?), an anniversary of sorts coming up, a sweater I said was going to be for an Easter gift, and a visit from my Mom in a week (panic cleaning -- goodie -- though her only request is that the bathrooms be clean -- that I CAN promise). Enough with the feeling down in the dumps -- who the heck has time?!?

23 comments:

Magpie Sue said...

Sometimes it doesn't matter whether we feel we have the time to take a break; life forces us to whether we want to or not. My heart goes out to the 14yo who lost her mother :-(

Good luck with the bedtime issues. I'm so glad I have grandchildren now, not children! Hang in there, it's worh it in the end!

Meredith said...

Sorry for your loss. That is about the best I do with funerals. Sorry about your daughter and the challenge. I guess you could look at it from my point of view. Married no kids and waiting for a dr. to tell me I can start trying. Going into year 12 of marriage . a lot of waiting. Lyme disease. Maybe it will help to see both sides of it. I think you are doing a great job being a mom. I am glad you let it all out.

Diana said...

Two year olds! I think I've heard it called the "first adolescence," with good reason. Hang on--it gets better. Really.

QuiltingFitzy said...

Sorry for your challenges...

Why not trying to have your daughter strip her bed and carry the smellies to the wash. She's big enuf for that! She needs to take responsibility even at this tender age.

Remembering when I made my 2yo scrub crayon marks off the wall..blubbering all the while!

Unknown said...

I am sorry to hear about your loss. Sometimes there are so many things that take over our lives and often they make us sad and distracted and not to fun to be around, I have been there.

Clare said...

Terrible 2's are the worst. She'll get there in the end, but don't stress about it cos it will make her worse. Believe me! Now take a deep breath, count to 10 and be glad you aren't the mother of a 13 year old who knows EVERYTHING there is to know about EVERYTHING!

Oh you poor love. I'm the same about funerals and my heart goes out to that poor poor girl.

Helen said...

A week and a half is too long a break from blogging! Nice to have you back. :)

Libby said...

I'm one of those people that stumble over my words and usually end up saying something dumb. So I end up standing around looking like a deer in headlights . . . I can surely feel your pain - as I also feel for your loss. Just know that your presence is often all that's needed *s*

Anonymous said...

Sorry for your loss and I can relate to it just not being fair. My daughter has a little boy in his class who's dad died when he was three and his sister was 9. That pretty much sucked. Seeing his now he's well adjusted but it still gets you. The night time potty thing man they sure know just how to get you. Pull ups at bedtime is just the way to go sometimes just to avoid issues.The winter slump is in full affect here too.ugh. At least the sun is shining today. Hope you have a better weekend. Try a nice cup of tea/coffee and a magazine or book. Sometimes that just helps you to chill out and then look out sewing machine.

Unknown said...

I can only tell you, they are not called terrible twos for nothing!
I remember only too well, how often we had to get up in the middle of the night too.
I feel very sorry for the 14yo and I don´t know of anybody who feels at ease at funerals.
The Easter decoration looks interesting! A lot of glitter and pink there. That would be something for my Dear Niece, the pink little lady! Take care.

Nan said...

I understand the down in the dumps feeling - I have been feeling the same. Mine is due to rain, not snow. I also understand about the funeral - I don't do them well, either. My heart aches for the young lady who's lost her mom, as well.
I hope things are a bit better on the bedtime front now. Miss Tink is sure a smart little girl! LOL! It's got to be difficult to stay one step ahead of her.
I do love the houses you two are working on! They're adorable, and you're making memories in the bargain!
It will be wonderful to have your mom's company, won't it? Something to look forward to!! Keep smiling, my friend!

Kate North said...

I don't think anyone really knows what to say at funerals, so it's probably not a sign you are a bad person or anything :)

As for Tink, well, you'll get there in the end, though it may be hard work along the way. You can console yourself with the thought that she's not likely to ever get bullied!

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

No time for down in the dumps... I hear ya. You have your hands full for sure, spring will be here before you know it and the last lingering days of winter will be a distant memory. (Just like the pull-ups!)

Tracey @ozcountryquiltingmum said...

Ahh, toilet training-a game best played in hindsight!!!
Just be oh so thankful she is only wet....and go the big girl u/wear!
Love the little houses and so with you on the funerals, I don't even have t know them and I cry over their families loss! Have a better week, Tracey

Darlene said...

I'm very sorry for your loss!

Oh, two year olds and teens - very little difference. LOL! Hang in there ((HUGS))!

Lisa said...

Hang in there, Angela!!! We all have our weeks!!! It is okay to feel that way!!!! Take some time for yourself!

Unknown said...

Sometimes lfe just gets in the way - it'll get better - they do grow up and we do survive even if we might not think so at the time - her exasperating strong will his hard work now but will stand her in good stead in the future

Samantha said...

Happy Birthday to your hubby.

And best wishes on the bedtime battles. No fun at all there :-(

And many condolences on the loss of your friend. My best friend's dad just died, and I've been pretty useless, so I understand what you mean.

Greenmare said...

I soooooooooo hear you. I'm done with 2 year olds, but I remember, and I am sooooooooo darn tired tired tired of winter myself. It's like the winter in Narnia where it's always winter and never Christmas. Could I whine some more do you think?

Nicole said...

Miss you! It sounds as if your plate is more than full. I hope things are a bit better this week. My condolences on the loss of your friend.

Felicia said...

I've been feeling the blues myself lately. I love the little decorated Easter house. I'm sending positive thoughts you way.

Holly said...

Missed ya. Life does have a way of taking over. Sometimes it's just one foot in front of the other. Just remember "this, too, shall pass".

Anonymous said...

Hi Angela! We have been wondering here at TTD, what you've been up to lately. Sounds like we're all having a rough winter, and pretty much fed up with the weather.

We need some spring like weather soon, or somebody's going to get hurt! You know what I mean!!

Come see us when you can! We'll try to spread a little sunshine to ya!