Sunday, April 22, 2007

Project in Progress

I promised in my last post I would share some photos of my progress on my current project made with the yummy Heather Bailey fabrics. This one is not quilty, though it involves fabric, thread and a sewing machine. And thanks to a wonderful spring (almost summer day, we had temps in the low 80's F) despite the fact that we had snow a week and 1/2 ago, I was able to get some wonderful pictures.


I really only meant to have dd try this on this morning so I could check the fit. It's big, but that's good -- she can wear it all summer. I really did mean to then take it off of her so I can finish the pants that are going to go with it. But...she wouldn't let me. She kept on feeling the fabric and playing with the little ruffle. She ran away when I suggested she put on her favorite Elmo shirt instead. Who am I to argue with that? And, ok, it made me feel good that she loved it so much she wanted to wear it. So -- add a pair of jeans, send her outside, and this is what I got.

A trip to the park after being scared by a big dog in our "soccer field" (a grassy area near our townhouse -- the dog was visiting a house separated from the area by a hedge. Seems we got a bit close and she was being protective of the little girls the dog guards. Nothing more than the dog running towards her barking, but a 45 pound dog is 2x the size of my little one -- I see a dog double my size running after me and I will start freaking out too!), and all is right with the world as she follows her mother's regard for the way things are "supposed" to be done (dh was close by, I just cropped his hand and foot out of this picture).



I still need to finish the pants, but she wore the shirt all day long. It has some red jello dotting the front, a few grass smudges and lots of dirt on it. I need to re-do a line of top stitching to make sure the hem doesn't unravel when I wash it, and I couldn't be more pleased. It has been worn, loved, and used and she looked adorable while doing it. What more could I ask for?

For anyone who is curious, the outfit is from a Burda pattern and will, when I am done with them, have a pair of pants to go with it out of the yellow/blue green/pink striped Fresh Cut fabric I bought at the quilt show. I know there are some of you out there who are talented enough to just make up outfits like this -- I am NOT one of them. Clothing is not really one of my talents -- curved and odd shaped seams (um, I LIKE my mostly straight seams), having to go back and finish seams (hunh? doesn't the batting cover this?), and a 5/8" seam allowance (that thing looks HUGE compared to my normal 1/4"). ONLY for those I love would I attempt this -- although this went together so easily, I am contemplating adding to the insanity. I may change my mind after having to work with elastic, I'll let you know.

I've also been playing with the odd sized scraps left over from cutting the pattern pieces. Since they are so oddly shaped instead of going into my scrap bag, or being cut down into strips, these have been my way to "test drive" my new yo-yo makers. Can I just say these things ROCK? No fuss, no muss, no having to press down the seam! Just snap in the fabric, trim around the edge, needle in an out of the pre-marked holes, pull a thread, and voila! instant yo-yo! I've been working on these while I watch TV at night, I think I've already made about 30 altogether. I know one or two are going to be a hair thingy (don't you love my technical terms) for dd's outfit, but what I am going to do with the rest -- well, I'll figure it out. I still have scraps from the outfit left, so I have no idea how many I will end up with, but boy are they fun!

So, there is my current fabric therapy, just about the speed I need right now even with the challenges of seams that don't exactly match up without easing them together and that don't lie flat when you iron them because, well, people aren't flat! I'll post another picture when I finish the pants, and if anyone has any suggestions for all of the yo-yo's, I will gladly take them!

10 comments:

YankeeQuilter said...

That shirt looks adorable! I am strictly a quilter and costume maker. I once made a pieced jacket for my Mom only to find out a year later my older sister had taken it abart and put a new lining in! I owndered why the color was laying so flat?!

I love the look of yo-yo "quilts" on a white iron bed. That aside I also think they are very cute used as flowers on 30's style basket blocks. You say that tool is really easy to use....

QuiltingFitzy said...

A little pair of "spanky" pants would look cute under this top too, you know, those little just cover the undies kind? lol

Your darling is adorable, and the outfit is going to be just wonderful.

Unknown said...

Now how cute is that? Love her little top and with the pants she'll look just even cuter. I know what you mean about all those curved seams, I'm a dressmaker from way back. Still enjoy making the odd outfit or two.
Your yo yo's look lovely. Have you thought about doing an applique quilt and using them as the flowers? If your not a fan of needle turn applique, then there's my favorite, blanket stitch, quick easy and you see the results so much more quickly.

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh, I wish I could make my daughter such adorable garments! How nice tohave it loved already!

Unknown said...

You have a very lucky daughter to have a so talented mother! The dress looks so cute. I have a niece myself and a sister with a lot of great ideas but no sewing bug, so you can imagine the rest.
I am making yo-yos as well for my hand-sewing course and I will put them on the front piece of a bag later. Take care.

Kairle Oaks said...

How very sweet! I used to love making clothes for my girls and was thrilled when they loved them so much that they wouldn't take them off!

Now, if you could promise me that my yo-yos could look as nice as yours I might start looking for some of those gizmos.

Leigh said...

How gorgeous and the yoyo's look good too.

KC Quilter said...

How adorable!!! And the top is wonderful too! Don't ya just love the yo-yo maker? Just a great therapy tool. Garment sewing for kids is just the mostest fun--you'll get hooked.

Tracey @ozcountryquiltingmum said...

I loved making clothes for my girl, and i especially loved making them from from patchwork material that meant i could put it in a quilt when it was no longer needed. There's something great about seeing them in your clothes-wait until you have to make matching ones for the baby born, i might have to scan a few in for proof. (I must have been going for Mother of the year!)Tracey
I love yo-yos or suffolk puffs as flowers with antique or intersting buttons in the centre-emauil me if you don't know this look. That tool is great. Tracey

Melanie said...

I love her outfit!!! Wish my 17 year old still wore things like this!!!