Thursday, October 4, 2007

Picture Day

Today was picture day at my daughter's preschool/daycare/place she goes to be around other children and Mommy gets time to play with dust bunnies and fabric (guess which one I prefer playing with?). So the all important question became -- what to wear? A quick mental inventory of her wardrobe let me know -- um, not much. This is not to say she has no cute clothes. She does. Quite a few. Just -- well, I may be behind on my laundry. Just maybe mind you.

So, rather than tackling the mountains piles of laundry what does any self-respecting crafty mommy do? Oh -- yeah, make a new outfit. (we won't discuss the fact that it would have been simpler and taken just as much time for me to actually do the laundry now will we?? Nope, didn't think so) Besides, it was a great excuse to try something that was a suggestion from some of the commenters on my t-shirt dress tutorial. Yeah, any excuse will do folks! So, trip to the store for a new t-shirt. Dig out some seriously cute Heather Ross fabric (and hey -- I won this stuff, so, bonus). Measure child (harder to do than you would think). Make a few guesses as sizing -- some sewing, and, voila! Of course, getting a picture of said dress once it was on the child this morning was a bit more difficult.
There, that's better -- she held still for about a second there. Cool. My measurements were a bit off -- I thought it would be just a tad shorter -- but this is good, room to grow. Room to run.




Room to sit down in the grass and show off some really cute tights. I found the tights when I got the t-shirt. They are just cracking me up. Though, honestly, this photo is a little more Wizard of Oz than I might like (or am I the only one thinking of the witch under the house here?)


But seriously -- I'm tempted by these myself. Although -- horizontal striped tights should PROBABLY be left for those with skinnier legs, and, those who are young enough to pull them off. Darn. Oh well -- I can at least live vicariously!
Oh, and I also have to rave about the fabric I used. Oh My Goodness. I've loved looking at the Heather Ross fabrics online -- fun, whimsical, etc. Now that I've played with some -- the hand to the fabric is just short of sinful! It sews up beautifully and oh -- brings a smile to your face at the same time. I'm in love!


On other quilting/sewing fronts -- I've actually been really productive the past few days/week. I did finally mail out the gifts for my 50th Post give-away. I have photos but, they're not edited yet -- and I've been working on a couple of other things that I need to take pictures of/edit for public consumption. But, it's almost time to pick up the little one so -- I'll save that for later!

16 comments:

Karyn said...

That dress is way too cute!! I love it and I love that fabric! You're so lucky you won it. :)

His Office, My Studio said...

Your daughter's dress(whole outfit) is very cute.

If I had a girl you bet I would sew a dress before doing a load of laundry.

Greenmare said...

Clever you to sew up a new dress instead of doing laudry. I'm avoiding it too, but actually my husband is working on it as I write. lucky me!
Love the tights!

Anonymous said...

LOL Stop! You're making me laugh too hard way over here in Georgia. First of all, you had to go to the store to buy a t-shirt?! LOL I can see that laundry avoidance is to the maximum here. Second of all, yes, absolutely did I automatically think the Wizard of Oz. LOL! Those tights are truly the best. A total scream :) That outfit is just the most precious thing ever.

Ok, I might be sufficiently calmed down here to say you did well lady!

Jeanne said...

Darling outfit! The pink shoes and striped tights are perfect.
Jeanne :)

Unknown said...

Glad to see you put the idea into a very cute little dress. Love the tights.... Hmm sounds like the laundry is getting the better of you...lol...

Samantha said...

that is painfully adorable! The tights make it perfect!

allie aller said...

What a cute little munchkin...

I remember those days of sending my 3 year old off to day care 2 mornings a week just so I could catch my breath (as an at home mom). Now he's a senior in high school and it happened Just. Like. That.
Enjoy her every minute!

Rose Marie said...

So, have you figured out yet what the next outfit will be that you have to sew? Mind you, you are using up your stash this way. :o) The outfit is great and those tights are adorable.

Brooke said...

Seriously that dress is precious!!! How fun! Who wouldn't rather sew than do laundry...that is a no brainer!! Good job Mom and thanks for sharing!

The Wooden Spool said...

Super adorable! What a cutie! Lucky duckie to have such a talented momma!

Suzanne Earley said...

That is beyond cute. The fabric...The tights (OMG, I wish I could wear tights like that...) The kid in motion. Love it.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Precious! Absolutely, positively precious!! I once whipped up a tablecloth (on my serger)becasue I didn't have time launder one, we're kindred spirits. I do love, love, love the Heather Ross fabric BIG-TIME.

Holly said...

Another adorable outfit!

Kairle Oaks said...

We just had picture day last week and you go through the same decisions no matter how old they get. LOL! My baby is now 10 1/2.

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh an absolutely adorable dress! And those tights are the best - it does look like the wicked witches legs sticking out!