Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Been Busy

But instead of the cleaning (which, there is even more of than I thought. Does it NEVER end? There are advantages to living with a husband who just doesn't see the dirt -- but when it comes time to clean it, um, never mind...), I've actually managed to get some sewing done!!! Woooo Hoooo!

I'm still in Finish What You Have mode here -- I'm really liking the phrasing on this one. I may even borrow another phrase I saw in blogland over the summer soon -- Use What You Have (sounds so much better than "Fabric Diet"). So, no new projects to share, but progress on others -- oh yes.

First up is the t-shirt "dress" I made for my daughter a while back. (OMG -- I just looked at the date on that -- was it really over a month ago??? I have GOT to stop leaving projects 1/2 done -- especially ones that have the potential to be grown out of!!!! It's one thing for a quilt to take 6 months or more to finish, but a child's SHIRT?!?!) I finally got around to putting on the yoyo's I wanted to add. I'm still not sure about these -- not sure what is bugging me. The colors I chose, how many? I don't know. I could add more yoyo's -- super easy to make using those yo yo makers.

Taking any away may be a problem though. 'Cause, I'm not guaranteeing it or anything but I'm pretty sure I used applique to attach these things. Now, the thing is -- applique is NOT my thing. (at least, not yet -- I may be chaging my mind about avoiding it at all costs though) Applique is one of those scary quilting terms and skills I've managed to avoid quite nicely for the past six years. But, I think I may have done some. By hand. And I don't hate it. So, no, these yo yo's are NOT coming out.


Aside from the whole I finally did some applique thing -- these are also attached to t-shirt material! Do you know the pain involved in trying to remove them?? I don't THINK so. So, add some -- I can. Depends on other opinions -- what do you think? But for right now, I'm going to consider it DONE. DD can wear it tomorrow for its first test round of spills, paints, and other gunk to get spilled on.



My other progress has been with the %#@*&*#*& challenge of bias binding. Some of you may recall that I managed to screw up make a mistake while I was making my bias binding for 'Cause I Can't Crochet. I finally got up my courage and tried it again. This time, paying attention to what I was doing. (and thanks to dh for volunteering to do the grocery shopping with toddler in tow when I said "I NEED to sew today" -- he may not see dirt, but, well -- there are many other reasons I love him) So, binding done -- and on the bias this time. Quilt trimmed. Binding attached. Now all I have to do is sit and do the handsewing. (what IS it with all this hand work?) Luckily -- it's premier week for all the new fall network shows. I can sit, I can sew, I can watch TV -- sounds like a plan to me!

So, off to do some more cleaning, some more sewing, if I'm lucky I will get to the post office today to send off some goodies -- I need another me!

12 comments:

Fiona said...

They look fine to me! It's the first time I've seen the flower you-yous used on a 'real life' item - excellent.

Teresa said...

Use what you have sounds more eco friendly. ;) I guess fabric diet sounds like you have quilt fat!

The Wooden Spool said...

Great idea! I totally need to use what I have! ((argh))....but it's oh so fun to buy more fabric candy! I am dredding/yet looking forward to Quilt Market when the next load of fabrics comes out! Watch out!!! There's gonna be some more goodies!

Anonymous said...

I think it looks lovely!

And very soft. My kids won't wear anything that is not soft.

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh they are so cute on the shirt! And I love that bias binding! Very cool! don't you just love the new fall season for hand work!

Holly said...

Those yo-yo's are adorable. I wouldn't change a thing. She's a lucky girl!

Magpie Sue said...

Yeah, kids have a way of growing out of clothes faster than they outgrow quilts... The top is cute! Put it on her and let her enjoy it! (The pj's were adorable too.)

Holly said...

I am so glad to have my message working again.

thanks for coming to the feast.
hope you had fun.


don't you just love yo-yo's?

too much fun!

Best,

H2

~Bren~ said...

Your yo yos look great. They really make the dress. I don't like the term Fabric Diet...I always cheat on diets!

Darlene said...

Take a deep breath! Now, count to ten! It's OK!

Nicole said...

I have just been looking at my fabric bundles, stacks of jelly rolls, piles of patterns etc. etc. etc. If I never go into another fabric shop in my life I would have enough projects to last me til the end of my days! I love the Use What You Have philosophy!

Anonymous said...

What an excellent husband to volunteer to for chores to give you some free time. I love the pretty little t-shirt dress with flowers.